Monday, July 21, 2008

We Need To Get Out More

One afternoon last week, the boys asked if we could make chocolate chip cookies. Why not? It is summer vacation after all. So here's how we make cookies at my house. Get the bag of cookie mix out of the pantry. Add a stick of butter and an egg. Mix. Bake. And eat. (The boys do know that there are other ways to bake and have seen baking from scratch on occasion for those of you cringing at my cookie mix.) Since I know that they like to help, I asked Adam to get the eggs out of the fridge and told him to take one out of the carton. He sat the carton on the counter and opened it. But as the top went up, the bottom slipped off the counter and dumped 11 of the dozen eggs on the floor. I looked at him and he looked at me and we both looked at the scrambled mess on the floor and I started to laugh. And then he started to laugh (relieved that I was laughing, I think). We got paper towels and a plastic bag to put the mess in and both got on our knees to start cleaning up. Josh then joined in and began picking up shells and yolks. It didn't take long for the boys to discover the squishy fun of squeezing the yolks through their fingers. They laughed and played and made the mess bigger than it was to start with. Then Josh said, "This is the most fun I've had all day!" And that's when I realized that we really should get out more often.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Seriously? You are one of the coolest moms I know. I can only hope--hope--that I would have done something similar and not been all freaked out about cleaning up egg goop. Thanks for the inspiration!

MarmiteToasty said...

Eggs make such a fine mess lol..... but what can ya do but laff about it.... shouting and screaming would of made no difference to the mess, so sometimes ya just have to go with the yoke lol oppps I mean flow :)

I have so much to catch up on over here....... later, Im going to make a cuppa tea and scroll back back back and catch up on everything...... please forgive me for not being around.... it does not mean you have not been in my thoughts..... love ya.....

x

Kendra said...

From what I hear, you DID get out the other day- didn't you stop by the Stickman's house?
I can't think of a better outing for your little ones...

Jen said...

Katrina, thanks for thinking I'm a cool mom. I'm not always so "cool" though.

Marmie, it was a big mess but also made for a big memory. Glad to see you out and about in the blogosphere.

Kendra, you are so right. The boys absolutely love the Stickman.