10 things about Josh on his 14th birthday.
1. He was born on the first day of elk hunting season. I called my dad just as he was leaving for hunting that day 14 years ago to tell him that he might want to wait. That was the 9th. Josh wasn't born until the 10th. Dad waited...but went hunting on the 11th.
2. Since he was born on the first day of elk season, I knew it was only a matter of time before he spent his birthdays in the woods instead of with me. This is the fourth year that that's been true. (I'm not as okay with it as I pretend to be.)
3. He has one of those magnetic personalities that cause people to want to be his friend. He's always been kind of a charmer.
4. He finally likes school. After about the first week at his new school, he declared that "school's not so bad." That's as good as it's gonna get, I think. (He's still not crazy about the work, though.)
5. He's taller than me. He loves to stand next to me and remind me of that fact often. Honestly, I'm glad. If he was shorter than me, he'd be really short.
6. He loves all things fishing and hunting. He wants to be a professional fisherman when he grows up.
7. He has a great laugh. Just hearing him laugh, makes me laugh.
8. He is the epitome of "a growing boy." He's always hungry and seems to grow an inch everyday.
9. He was my guinea pig baby. By the time Adam came around, I was an expert compared to when Josh was born. I'd barely even held babies, no less kept them alive.
10. The day he was born was the day part of my heart began to walk around outside my body. And now, 14 years later, that still holds true...only 14 times stronger.
Happy birthday, Yosh. I love you more than words can say.