Thursday, September 13, 2007

A Sign With Antlers

This morning I chose to take the back roads into town to school. I did this for two reasons. One, to time the trip to see how much longer it was than taking the highway. And two, to avoid said highway which often causes my anxiety to soar first thing in the morning. On the drive I discovered that the trip only takes an extra minute or two. Kind of what I thought, but I wanted to make sure for future mornings. I also discovered that there is a flock of wild turkeys that spend their mornings in a field off Ramsey Road. This was the second time I had seen them there. (Adam called them roosters, but then remembered that they were turkeys.) And the third thing I discovered was that back roads aren't always safer. Here's why.

I almost hit a deer, a big one, just after leaving home. Had she not chosen to run parallel with the car for a few seconds, which gave me time to slow down, I surely would have hit her. Strike one for lowering my anxiety.

And then shortly after that, a truck passed me and a squished pop can flew out of the back of his truck right in front of me. Not a big deal, but it caught my attention and startled me. Strike two. No sooner had that happened than out of the corner of my eye in the rear view mirror I saw a big brown tarp fly out of the back of the same truck. At least that's what I thought it was. Until I focused on my mirror. It wasn't a tarp at all. It was a moose!* A huge moose with huge antlers. And it hadn't flown out of the back of his truck but was tripping and staggering across the road right between the truck and a car going the opposite direction. If I had been three seconds earlier it would have crossed right in front of me. Strike three.

So, here's my dilemma. Do I take the highway and put my life in the hands of all the drivers going 65 mph around me (including numerous logging trucks)? Or do I take the back roads and risk encountering a thousand pound animal who doesn't look both ways?

We have actually been trying to decide whether or not to sell our house and move into town. It's a hard decision because we love our house and living out where it's so quiet and beautiful. But then there's the drive. Rolling your car a few times makes driving a little difficult, so it's been a real issue. So today, as I drove the back way to avoid the danger but had to dodge wildlife along the way, I began to wonder if it was a sign. Either way I go, it raises my anxiety. So what do I do? I just don't know, but for now I'm going to go clean my house just in case we call a realtor in the next few days. And I'm going to pray for wisdom and answers and a big bubble of safety around my minivan. And that all future signs are bunnies or kittens or at least don't have antlers.

*The moose was fine and continued on his way with no more than an increased heartbeat and a story to tell his buddies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, of the three signs, the third was potentially the most dangerous, right? Ok, you said if you had been three seconds earlier, you could have hit him, right? So, how long do you think you took slowing down for the pop can and the deer? Maybe about one and a half seconds each?...Sounds like signs and a safety net to me.

Ada said...

Ok, although Cathy has some really good points. Really good points actually, there are numerous houses for sale in our neighborhood and I would love to be able to walk over and borrow some sugar. You do keep sugar don't you?

Jen said...

Kathy, you are so right and I thought about that, too. I'm always grateful for a safe trip in.

Ada, we would drive our husbands crazy if we lived in walking distance of each other. They'd never see us! :) And yes, I do have sugar in my pantry. You never know when you might have a craving for kool aid. That's what it's for right?

Katrina said...

Well, selfishly, I'm rooting for you to move to town, but I know how much you love your house, too. So I'm basically leaving this comment to say, "Wow! A moose!" ;)

Anonymous said...

I really miss living in the country. However, it is nice to be in town for the convenience of our children's social lives. I am enjoying this time in town with my children, and kind of dreaming of the day when I can move back to the country for myself. I do not like to dodge wildlife; however, I always considered seeing wildlife one of the highlights of the drive.