Saturday, September 01, 2007

Summer 2 School

I have spent the last week or so getting ready for school. I am going to be teaching kindergarten in the mornings and 7th grade math, science, and music in the afternoons. I am looking forward to it even though it means no more days at the beach for a while. I am a teacher. Through and through. I love the feeling of knowing that I have taught a student something new. And there is no better reward than seeing the eyes of a 5 year old light up when they finally realize that t+a=ta. As of today I have 12 kindergarteners, but my class limit is 14 and the numbers usually change the first week of school. I have three 7th graders so far, which will be great and give me a real chance to make sure they are ready for upper level math and science.

I thought I would share a few pictures of my cute classroom with you.

This is the library and reading corner. I also use the table in the back for reading groups, art projects, and other group activities.


This is one of my bulletin boards. On it there are a variety of educational posters, the birthday graph, and yellow felt used for a felt board to do counting and games on.


This year instead of desks, I am trying tables and chairs. I do have an extra desk just in case someone can't quite handle being so close to other classmates. Hopefully I won't have to use it.


On Thursday we had open house. About half of my students came with their parents to see the classroom and meet me. It was great to see so many anxious faces.


But they also saw something that I bet they weren't expecting. This...




Yes, this is Boys 2 Men circa 1986. My "friends" and co-teachers, Kathy and Marci, thought it would be really funny to put this up on the back of my classroom door complete with hearts. Now don't get me wrong. I was a fan of the r&b group back in the day, but I never had posters of them. At least not until now. When I discovered this the day of open house I laughed like crazy and racked my brain trying to remember the words to one of their songs to sing as I walked down the hall. (I didn't think of any.) And when I saw my "friends" I told them what a good joke they had pulled. All the while reminding myself to take it down before parents arrived. Well, guess what. I forgot. I forgot all about it until the last parents were asking questions and their younger child closed the door. Oh my goodness. I explained that it was a joke and we laughed together. But I didn't get to explain to the half a dozen other families who had obviously seen it. I could have told them it was for my music appreciation class. Or that I was encouraging diversity. Or that my "friends" think that they are SOOO funny. Anything other than them thinking that I have some kind of freakish teenage crush on this harmonic quartet.

So first thing Friday morning (well, after I took pictures), I carefully took it down and put it in a safe place. Because you can bet that my "friends" will someday walk into their classrooms and find the adolescent faces of these "boys" staring back at them. And don't be a bit surprised if it's on conference day!

3 comments:

Idaho Dad said...

A month before my son started kindergarten, the school had an open house and we met his teacher, a nice young man. Prominent on the classroom wall was a large poster of John Lennon, with the word "Imagine" underneath.

I thought this teacher seemed very cool. Too bad, because three weeks later we moved from Boise to Coeur d'Alene. My son's new kindergarten teacher was a bit less cool, but nice nonetheless.

RosieBoo said...

I like a cool teacher who isn't afraid to reveal her hidden love of Boyz to Men. :) There are probably some parents that wouldn't want to admit they were fans at one time.... :)

Katrina said...

Love it!!! That's right up there with the Legolas magnet that turned up on Kathy's fridge and all the California Raisins stickers that popped up in unexpected places around my apartment--even better, because there were witnesses...lol!

I can't wait to hear where the Boys make their next appearance...

(Hope your first day went great, by the way!)