Wednesday, December 03, 2008

6 Months

Julianna turned 6 months old yesterday. 6 months. Half a year. I can't believe it. She does something new everyday it seems. I think because I'm an older mom this time I am appreciating this whole baby thing more. And because she's our last. Really this time.

When I was pregnant I knew that I was going to breastfeed even though it certainly isn't my favorite part of mommyhood. I was hoping to make it to 5 or 6 months with her like I had with the boys. Then she was born. The first day was easy. She was a good nurser from the beginning and I was more confident and less anxious about the whole thing. The second day was not easy. She wanted to eat all the time. And when I say all the time, I mean ALL THE TIME. I remember praying that second night, when she was attached to me yet again, for my milk to come in so that she would be full for a few minutes. And of course, it did and she was. But at that point I was a little worried. I told myself to stick it out for a week. Then when I made it that week, I thought I'd try one more week. Then I thought I would shoot for a month. By the time she was a month old, we were both old hat at the whole thing.

So here we are at 6 months and I'm trying to decide what to do. I have reached my original goal. But now it's so easy. And convenient. And free. And Jules doesn't have any teeth yet.

So I'm thinking maybe just a little longer. A couple more weeks. Or at least until that first tooth appears.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lily never did nurse, and I pumped and fed for 4 grueling months. I hated it. I'm totally jealous of everyone who is able to nurse. But it is a relief when you don't have to worry about leaking bodily fluids, and you can hand the bottle and the baby off to Dad :)

Ada said...

Happy half birthday sweet girl. I love you.

Anonymous said...

I love the name. I expect to see you in the spring, you better come. My delight. The Stickman

Jen said...

Alyson, I was never dedicated enough to pump. You are amazing to have done it for 4 months.

Ada, I love you, too. --Jules

Stickman, we'll be there. The boys would come to see you everyday, I think. They love our visits to your place.