Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Awakening

For my American Literature class I have been reading stories from the late 1800's and the early 1900's. Crane, London, Okison, Gilman, Garland, Freeman, Jewett. Boy, can these guys (and gals) write. The language is beautiful and amazing and brilliant. The stories are captivating and emotional. I have begun to feel like I have been deprived in my 35 years that I have never read some of these author's works. (I did read Call of The Wild by Jack London, but I was too young to appreciate it.)

This week we read Kate Chopin's The Awakening. I was once again struck by the wonderful writing. I had never read this story before, and couldn't put it down. Never have I enjoyed homework so much. In this story, Edna, a wife and mother, begins to "awaken" to her more independent and sensual side. I could see the slow progression from her little flirtations to all out rebellion. Her situation was common in those days. She had a socially acceptable marriage, two sons, (who were taken care of by a nanny), a big house, and spent summers at the coast. But, without understanding why, she felt unhappy. Her unhappiness confused her and she tried to make it go away. No matter what she did, though (painting, music, gambling, moving), she still wasn't who she wanted to be. Her husband certainly didn't understand her. (Depression in women was so misunderstood back then.) When she finally realized what would make her happy, it didn't come to be. The story didn't have a happy ending, but it was written so amazingly well that I didn't mind.

Reading writing of this caliber is a little intimidating for someone who someday wants to write a book. But at the same time, it gives me something to strive for. (Especially knowing that Kate Chopin did all of her writing in the afternoons while her 6, yes 6, children napped or played around her writing table!) All of these classics have definitely made me hungry to read more. I can't wait to read what's next!

2 comments:

Amy said...

hmm..this one wasn't one of my favorite reads back in college, but yes, I can certainly see your point here. My favorite by Chopin was "The Story of an Hour". It's just a short story, but I just loved it.

Katrina said...

Speaking of short stories, I still remember reading Jack London's "To Build a Fire" and being amazed at how much suspense and excitement he conveyed in such a short piece. I was riveted, and just a few pages in, I felt as if I were the one struggling for life and warmth out there in the snow. Amazing.

Great post!

(And I can't wait to read your book!)