Thursday, March 01, 2007

Thursday Morning

I have been sick for a week. Stomach flu. The worst. But this morning I woke up feeling almost normal. I even smiled when I woke up and realized that I was feeling better. So I got up, got myself and the boys ready for school and went out to start the car. In the last few days we have gotten about 14 inches of new snow, including about 3 that I had to clear from the car this morning. After one little complaint to myself about winter, I did what I had to do. So I got everyone and everything loaded into the van and started to pull out of our long driveway. About halfway to the road, we stopped. (Did I mention the 14 inches of snow?)

Reverse. Spin. Forward. Spin. Reverse. Spin. Forward. Spin. Get out to check. See nothing that should keep me from moving. Reverse. Spin. Forward. Spin. Tromp up the driveway to get the shovel. Shovel around the tires. Reverse. Spin. Forward. Spin. 20 minutes later, call my "knight in shining whatever" to rescue me.

I just knew that he would get home, get in the van and pull right out. Then I would know that it was a girl thing. But fortunately...I mean unfortunately, it took him over half an hour to get us out. He had to jack up the van and put a board under the tire spinning on ice under all that snow. I'm not exactly sure how it happened that I got so stuck, but since the little rollover I had last spring, I am of the mind that everything happens for a reason. Maybe we were meant to be on the road a little later than usual today. Or maybe I was meant to have 20 extra minutes to clean the kitchen. Either way, I'm thankful that I made it to school, AND the dishes are done. And I'm especially thankful for my knight who didn't complain once, but actually smiled while he dug snow from under my van!

2 comments:

Amy said...

awww!! I think sometimes men need to feel useful and that probably made him feel good!! (I like to think so anyway!) I'm glad you were able to finally get out. With 14+ inches, I would have curled back up in bed until Spring!

Katrina said...

What a knight you have there! To do it is one thing--to do it with a smaile on his face is something of the divine.

Glad you're getting over the flu! I declared us all healed on Wednesday, and we are pushing forward with our lives despite the persistent coughs, sniffles, and other evidence to the contrary...lol!