Monday, August 18, 2008

Discovery

Today the boys and I attended our first Idaho Virtual Academy event. We went to Discovery Day. The boys went to separate classes with kids their own age and did a variety of activities and lessons. I went to the parent sessions with introductions, questions and answers, and expert speakers. It was very interesting. And a little overwhelming. It made me realize just what I was getting myself into. Almost everyone who spoke told us how hard it was going to be. Which I knew. But having someone else say it made me think.

Then a lady who has been homeschooling her children for 6 years shared some of her story. The way she described her relationship with her girls brought tears to my eyes. Yes, it will be hard. Yes, there will be tough days. Yes, I will be challenged in every sense of the word. And I will never regret a second of it.

By the way, everyone there looked absolutely...normal. There wasn't a squirrel skin hat to be found!

8 comments:

Idaho Dad said...

Agghh!! Was that today?

I've been feeling sick the last couple of days and completely spaced out on my calendar.

Oh well.

We've been with IDVA for two years, so I hope I know what's going on. The challenge this year will come with my daughter being home for the second grade.

Will you be at the Farragut picnic?

Katrina said...

I am so excited for you, Jen. I know how you prayed over this decision and I'm sure your family will be blessed beyond measure on the new path you're taking!

Jen said...

Phil, we are planning to go to the picnic. Hope to see you there.

Katrina, thanks for your encouragement.

Anonymous said...

You didn't see the squirrel skin hats because it was over a hundred degrees yesterday. The hat is on the hook and the squirrel is in the stew.

Jen said...

Kathy, No comment.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping you would rush to my defense and explain to your readers who are unfamiliar with me that I really have the utmost respect for the people who homeschool their children with the dedication and skill which I know you will have. I've seen a very limited sampling of Phil's blog and admire the field trips which he uses in homeschooling. I'm behind you 100%. You know that. I felt like I should be sure your other readers know it too. I must be going soft in my old age...

Jen said...

Kathy, I know. And your comments always make me laugh because I know you love me. By the way, want to come over for dinner? We're having stew!!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmmm, rodent.