Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Natural Consequences

This morning when I asked Adam to get my magazine for me while I was nursing Julianna, he informed me that I make him do everything and I do nothing for him. Well, as consequences for his being disrespectful about it, I told him that for the rest of the day he will do everything for himself and whenever he asks for my help, I remind him of those consequences. As a result, he made his own lunch, did his craft project alone, and picked up all his own messes among other things. And we still have dinner, baths and bedtime to go. Maybe next time he'll just get the magazine.

6 comments:

Katrina said...

That was a very well-measured response, and an appropriate consequence. Do you mind if I call you the next time I get stumped for a punishment for Katie and Caleb?

Anonymous said...

A most excellent response. I will have to remember that. How would you apply the, "This is the worst day of my life!" comment?

Jen said...

Katrina, call anytime, I'm full of good punishment ideas! :)

Kathy, to the "worst day" comment, I just say, "You're young. Don't worry, you'll have lots of days worse than this one."

RosieBoo said...

Great parenting tip....you seem like a calm Mommy :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know if I'd call this a "natural" consequence, but it's a good one!

raymond pert said...

Jen,

Thanks for coming over to my blog and commenting on the reading I'm doing about West Virginia.

I'm curious where you lived in WV and where your family is from.

If you wouldn't mind filling me in, my email is billy1227@gmail.com

BTW, one of my favorite complaints from a kid is "you make me do everything and you don't do anything for me." Unfortunately, if I'd been in your shoes, I'd have laughed at Adam so hard that I wouldn't have had the presence of mind to teach him a lesson and would have ended up just asking me to find me a handkerchief to wipe the laugh tears and blow my nose.