Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Home

Okay, I have about 4 1/2 minutes to write my first post about homeschooling. So here it is. Homeschooling is hard. The curriculum is great. The program is great. Our teacher is great. But teaching the boys at home is hard. There are lots of distractions for them and me. There are lots of other things we could be doing. It's hard to have a set schedule with a 3 month old baby. But we're trying. And doing okay I think. The boys are learning and sometimes having fun. And they are also learning that everything isn't fun. Writing spelling words. Not so fun. Writing sentences. Not fun. Reading when the sun is shining and the yard (or Spongebob) is calling. Not fun. But they also like a lot of it. Science and art and anything hands on they love. Taking a break and going for a walk whenever we want. Fun. Reading to their baby sister. Fun. Helping me make cookies. Fun.

All in all it's been okay and getting better. They've cried and I've cried, but the tears are getting fewer. We've had days when we only did two lessons, but today we got through everything plus a few extras. And I am home. With my kids. And it is hard, but good.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear from you. Now I know where you've been when I check on you every day. Hang in there! Just remember, don't put up with anything from them that you wouldn't put up with from a regular student. (And they are experts at knowing your weaknesses!) You're doing great.

Katrina said...

That was a great four and a half minute post! And I'm glad to know I'm not the only teacher who has cried at least once since school started. I bet in another month it will be smooth sailing (or as smooth as teaching ever gets, anyway!)

Also, I think I can use Marci's advice for having Caleb in my class, too. I think I've been a little harder on him than on the others in my zeal to avoid giving him special treatment. Just today I realized I haven't been calling on him nearly as much as the other kids. Oops!

Mama Kautz said...

I am not sure how I found you....but I have you in my favorites....maybe through A Family Runs Through It....
this website helped me when I first brought my kids home...I hope it helps you
http://sandradodd.com/deschooling

Anonymous said...

Jen: As you know, I put myself in the cooler 10 days ago and will not go back till after the election. But, that will not prevent me from stopping by on various blogs to say 'hi' to the regulars that I have grown to like very much over the years, like you. I hope the family is well and life is smiling down upon you. The Stickman

Idaho Dad said...

I've been meaning to stop in with some words of wisdom, but I'm having a difficult time of it at home with two kids now.

All the fun is gone. Every last bit of it.

The past two years, I was able to focus solely on my son and plan the day around his lessons.

It's amazing how bringing one more kid into the mix has befuddled my brain. Now everything seems like a chore, no matter how I plan. All we do is work, and I don't think either kid is getting my best.

With my son, learning was fun. Now, I feel like I'm just rushing them through things.

I have to figure this out, quick.

Hey, now for some good news... You won the book giveaway.

Send me your address and I'll pass it along to the publisher.