Tuesday, September 02, 2008

September

Today is the first day of school. And although the boys and I have been homeschooling for the last week and a half, today still feels like it should be the first. It has been bittersweet, this day. I woke up this morning with my baby daughter beside me and looked at the clock. It was time that I should be getting up and getting ready to go, but instead I was able to linger just a little longer snuggled next to my baby because I had no where to go. At 8:00 I felt like I should be meeting with my co-teachers for the first prayer meeting of the year. But instead, I was praying by myself for the day, theirs and ours. I could be, on this day, meeting a new class of fresh faced kindergartners and turning my own children over to their teachers. But I am here. Guiding the boys in their learning, rocking my baby, and wondering just how the day is going at the school. How long did Mr. D. go over time in chapel? Did all the students get to where they were supposed to be? How did Katrina's first day go in her way-cuter-than-mine-ever-was classroom? How did Mom do with her new class of pre-schoolers? How was Aidan's day with his new teacher that could have been me? Did somebody have chocolate for Kathy?

Sigh. I miss it. I didn't think I would. And I love where I am. But it's going to take some getting used to, this staying home thing. It will get easier, I know. I just hope it happens quickly.

5 comments:

Ada said...

It will. You can have pajama Tuesdays again. You can have field trips whenever you want. You can enforce nap time if you want. The possiblities are endless. (plus there are no annoying grandmas to deal with) :)

Anonymous said...

1) We were praying for you, too, but at 7:45.
2) Only 1 4-year old cried, a few parents, and one in my class (but not until the very end of the day.) How many cried at your house?
3)At least one of my friends was willing to hand her child over to me for class.
4) 23 minutes.
5) No switcheroos in the k classes (that I know of.) I only had to send one parent with her child to a different classroom, and that was before 8:30, so I don't think it counts.
6) She only got through half of her lesson plans (snort, lesson plans! on the first day of kindergarten! Bless her for even trying!)
7) I don't think Peggy cried, so that's a good sign.
8) Aidan only cowered in the corner for half an hour, gripping his knees, rocking back and forth, saying, "Why didn't Aunt Jen want me?"
9) Yes, Alexis did, bless her sweet heart!

and in related news: I dropped my first two field trip requests on Dan's desk today. I figured three within the first 3 weeks of school would be too much.

Idaho Dad said...

Well, it took me almost a whole year to get used to homeschooling. I don't think you'll take that long, since you have teaching experience already.

Now that my daughter is home too, it feels almost like I'm starting new. There's a steep learning curve to teaching two at home. But I hope I can learn to relax more quickly. My daughter said to me on day two: "I thought homeschool was supposed to be fun!"

I need to heed her complaint.

Jen said...

Kathy, thanks for the update. 23 minutes...not bad. Lesson plans? Who uses lesson plans? And I did not need the Aidan comment. I feel guilty enough as it is. :(

Katrina said...

Jen, you are missed! And while you might be missing your life as a classroom teacher a little, I am missing mine as a stay-at-home mom. Saying goodbye at the door and going home to blog, do housework (will I ever get clean clothes out of the closet again, or am I doomed to fish for them from the laundry basket?), and take a walk around the block if I want to. And I'm tired. So tired. I'm ashamed to admit that I am, considering I'm only teaching half days. Theoretically I only work until noon, but for the first two days I was there all day doing all the million tiny things I haven't done yet, until a couple of people felt the need to remind me that I could leave in the afternoons! Also, there is SO MUCH that I don't know and don't find out about until I don't do something, like milk count, or sending home Wednesday notes, or getting the kids to line up on the yellow line after recess. I am looking forward to October, when, hopefully, I will a little more in sync with the daily groove.

But enough about that. I AM having fun, and I'm sure I'll get my feet under me one of these days!

Oh, and Kathy, don't snort at my lesson plans. Or I'll cut you off from my dark chocolate Hershey kisses supply. I'm not bluffing.