Thursday, October 09, 2008

Ink


I saw this story yesterday about how Angelina Jolie has a tattoo showing the geographical locations where each of her six children were born. I think it's kinda cool. But if I were to have a tattoo like this it would be a little boring. All three of my children were born in the exact same location. In the exact same operating room, even. Not in Africa or Asia or fancy shmancy hospitals in France.

So I began to think, if I were going to get ink'd (notice how cool I am using the word ink'd) to represent my children, what kind of ink would I get. I could get their initials--JS, AD, JG. But that's boring and predictable. I could get their birthdays. Still not enough kick. I could get their nicknames. Yoshi for Josh, Bubba for Adam, Jujubee for Julianna. But when they get older they might not appreciate those names like they do now. Maybe something that represents their interests. A fish for Josh and a bug for Adam, but all Julianna is interested in is eating and I don't think I want that kind of a tattoo. What about some exotic foreign symbol that represents their names? Too cool for me. How about a cartoon character that reflects their personality? Bugs Bunny for Josh, Tasmanian Devil for Adam, Tweety Bird for Jules. I'm sure I would never regret that!

So I'm kind of at a loss. I'll just have to keep thinking about it. Because all of you who know me know that I'm totally an ink kind of gal.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have a lily on my ankle for Lily. It all started when Jim and I got married, we got tattoos with each others names (mine on his ring finger, and his on my toe...I didn't want black on my finger all the time) Then for Lily I got a lily. But unless I continue to name my children after actual objects, I don't know what I will do.

Katrina said...

You *have* to take me with you when you go, Jen. I'm due for another one, and as you know, Paul has categorically rejected my proposal to go get matching pieces. (That's so romantic, Alyson! I noticed your lily at small group Sunday and meant to ask you about it, but I forgot!) As for your children, I think you should get a tattoo of the character quality you admire most in each of them. For mine, I would pick "joy" and "perserverance". (I'll let you figure out which is which!)

Ada said...

I think you should talk to dad about any kind of permanent marking on your body. I don't think he talked to me for days when he found mine. But these days he may offer to go with and get one of his own. You just never know.

Jen said...

Alyson, the lily idea is really cool.

Katrina, character qualities. Good idea.

Ada, It was just days? You got off easy. And just what kind of tattoo would dad get?