Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Girl Time

Yesterday after school, the boys wanted to hang out in the youth center with some of the other kids from church. I told them they could since I had a few errands to run anyway. So Julianna and I went to Target to look around and pick up a few things. We still had time after that, so I asked Julianna if she wanted to go to the library. She said, "What's the library?" After I stopped crying, I told her what it was. I guess she doesn't remember the few times we've gone in her short life. Working at a school, having book loving friends to borrow from, and having a "library" of our own at home doesn't give much cause for using the public library.

When we got there, I was surprised at how busy it was on a Tuesday afternoon. But when we walked in I saw why. Every computer station was full while very few people roamed the book aisles. I headed toward the young adult section to look for "Fire" by Kristin Cashore and was glad to find it on the shelf. Then I led Jules to the kid's area. She loved it. She looked in every nook and cranny at all the books and toys and puzzles. It was really fun to explore with her. After a while I let her pick out a few books to borrow. It was all very exciting. But the best part of going to the library is that it's quiet. My life doesn't lend itself to being very quiet. At the library you don't have a choice. It's just quiet. So wonderfully, gloriously quiet. I think my little girl and I may just have started a new Tuesday afternoon tradition. Girl time at the library.

4 comments:

Ada said...

I think that is the most wonderful plan!!!

Katrina said...

Great idea!

word verification: "oonumm" The sound I make when taking the first bite of a Pumpkin Pie Blizzard from Dairy Queen.

Unknown said...

That sounds like fun! Lily's library exposure is pretty lacking as well. I don't know if Goo has even ever been. Maybe we should change that.

wv: nogless. A nogless Christmas is a sad Christmas, indeed.

kathy said...

did you get julianna her very own library card? i imagine she would love that. like a charge card that you don't have to pay for (unless you lose that book.)

wv: spacsida- the fear of open and uncluttered spaces. ex: my spacsida prevents me from having a flat space to make a sandwich on.