Thursday, May 24, 2012

10 Things Thursday

10 of my favorite "words of the day" from www.mirriamwebster.com.

1. cachinnate: to laugh loudly or immoderately
The lady in front of us at the movies cachinnated through the whole thing, which was rather surprising considering it wasn't a comedy. 
2. lunette: something that has the shape of a crescent or half-moon
The boy who threw the rock got in big trouble after it left a lunette bruise on his classmates forehead.
3. bon vivant: a person having cultivated, refined, and sociable tastes especially in respect to food or drink
Considering that my idea of fine dining is soup and salad at Olive Garden, it's no surprise that I've never been accused of being a bon vivant.
4. menagerie: a place where animals are kept and trained especially for exhibition
My kindergarten class is often turned into a menagerie on show and tell day.
5. agog: full of intense interest of excitement; eager
A forty year old mother of three should not be agog while waiting to see The Hunger Games.
6. tranche: a division or portion of a pool or whole
The huge watermelon will be doled out in tranches to the guests at the bar-b-que.
7. shanghai: to put by trickery into an undesirable position
I was shanghaied into teaching Bible class this summer because someone said, "I'll do it if Jen does."
8. hypnagogic: of, relating to, or occurring in the period of drowsiness immediately preceding sleep
Why is it that my best writing ideas occur while I'm hypnagogic and I have to get out of bed to write them down so I don't forget by morning?
9. argot: an often more or less secret vocabulary and idiom peculiar to a particular group
Part of the argot I share with my sister is the word "daugherty."
10.maffick: to celebrate with boisterous rejoicing and hilarious behavior
On June 7th at exactly 12:00, the CCS staff will maffick as the last student exits the building!


No comments: