Sunday, February 10, 2013

Blessed Sunday

It took my friends a long time to talk me into joining the world of Facebook. They would say things like:

"I'm calling to tell you our movie plans since you're not on Facebook." 
and
"Did you hear that So And So is pregnant/had her baby/is engaged/went to Costco today? No? Oh, right, you're not on Facebook." 
and 
"You'd know that my sister's friend's daughter's goldfish died IF you were on Facebook!" 

I had no desire or need to have one more thing to take up my time. Especially one that involved a screen. But then, I fell into the trap and joined. Mainly to be able to sell things on Shop and Swap. (I've sold a total of ONE item.) Since then, I've found that I really enjoy getting to know far away friends and relatives and catching up with old friends and sharing my life with all of them. I love meeting everyone's kids and watching them grow. I'm glad I get to share, in at least a little part, in their families' joys. And I am blessed to be able to pray for them when they need that, too. And I also like being in the loop for movie nights/birthday parties/book clubs...

Never did I think that I would count Facebook as a blessing. But it has become that. Last night I had a private message conversation with someone from my past who is a new Facebook friend. We talked about kids and marriages and high school and mutual friends. And the funny part is, I think it was the first conversation I ever really had with her. She's a few years older than me and when we were teenagers I thought she was super pretty and cool (which she still is, by the way). I was way too shy then to talk to her much. But thanks to the years and Facebook, we're friends now. And that makes me happy.

So with a sigh and resignation to hearing, "I told you so," I will say that Facebook is a blessing. But far and away more of a blessing is the old and new friends it has brought into my life.

3 comments:

Ada said...

Jen.
I was just thinking this exact same thing this morning. But it was about YOU. You having fb and texting has made it so much easier to send you a quick msg when I'm thinking about you. Which is a lot.
I love it.
I'm glad it is a blessing to you. It is a blessing to me to have you on there. xoxoxo

Katrina said...

I knew we'd wear you down eventually. We can be a pain in the butt like that.

(I'm with Ada--it's so awesome to have you on Facebook!)

kathy said...

Win. Now for pinterest.