Wednesday, October 10, 2007

8 Years Ago

Today my first born son turns 8. Eight years old. It seems so impossible. We waited a long time before we had kids and it took awhile after that for him to come around. And I remember how extremely happy I was to find out that I was pregnant. I knew right away because I'm one of those "lucky" women who knows pretty much the next day if I'm pregnant. Instant naseau all day long. That lasted for about ten weeks then I felt great the rest of the time. Being pregnant is exciting and wonderful and scary and miraculous. And I enjoyed almost every minute of it. And then the day came. Well, labor came. Josh didn't actually come until the next day after 32 hours of labor and a c-section. But it was so worth it. He was this adorable little bundle with tons of black hair that stood up every which way. Not to brag, but all the doctors and nurses told me that he was a cute baby and that not all babies are as cute as their parents think. (Please don't tell me if they told you the same thing about your newborn.) He was a good baby. He didn't cry much and loved being held which told me right away that he was going to be a snuggler.


And here we are eight years later and he is smart and funny and mostly sweet. He likes dinosaurs and animals and movies and girls (yikes). He has this magnetic personality and therefore lots of friends. He does really well at school but likes recess best. He still has crazy hair that sticks up everywhere and he likes it that way. And he still likes to be held and will crawl up on my lap to snuggle. Except now, everytime he does, I breathe in the smell of his hair and hold on tight because I never know if it might be the last time.

Happy birthday, Josh. I love you more than words can say.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Josh. Jen: I am assuming you are the Jen that wrote me yesterday on the wild card, at least I hope so. I wrote back but it was gone this morning so I don't know if you read my reply. I am always home in the afternoons, especially on the weekends. As for tomorrow at one, I was planning to take my wife to the movies, something we don't do much of anymore. It may not happen, and if it doesn't, I will wait till the Wild card for friday and tell you whether I will indeed be in my familiar chair about 1pm. If not, any other afternoon and I should be there. I look forward to that meeting. The Stickman

Jen said...

Stickman, thanks for your reply. I hope you have a great time at the movies. I'll bring my 7th graders by a different day if you are indeed out.

Anonymous said...

Jen: This seems a better form of communication, so I'll stick with this. If we go tomorrow, I will know early and will let you know and maybe you can still come at 1. Otherwise, if you gve me a days notice on an approximate time the next day, I will always make a point of being here. The stickman

Katrina said...

Happy Birthday, Josh! We enjoyed your party! It was Katie's first time on skates, and it's been so long for me, it might as well have been the first time all over again!

I loved these reminiscences, Jen. You are such a great mom!

Anonymous said...

Jen: We are going to the movies on Monday, our dog is a little under the weather today and we are going to watch him. So, I will be sitting in my familiar chair at 1pm if you care to come by. Otherwise, let me know a day in advance like I said and I will make sure I am here. The Stickman

Ada said...

Happy Birthday sweet Josh! I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Jen: I'm glad you brought your entire class with you, a real pleasure. For them as well as me of course. It's why I do it. Happy birthday to two thirds of your class, made for a special day. The Stickman

Jen said...

Stickman, thanks so much for having us. The kids absolutely loved it and thought you were sooo cool. They showed off their sticks to everyone at school. My son Josh was very jealous and wanted to know why he didn't get to come, too. I just have to say again that what you do is great and much appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Let's see if this works:
Stickman,
You are an elusive fellow. I've taken my kids and my class to Tubbs Hill hoping to meet you and have had no luck so far, contrary to Katrina's comments, "He's always there." I hope my children and I get to meet you some day, especially Nathan, as I have the suspicion that you two just might be kindred spirits.

Sincerely, kathy

Anonymous said...

Kathy: I am basically always here, though it isn't a store where hours are posted or anything. If you would let me know a day in advance of when you might come, then I would make it a point to be here. I am usually outside from around 1pm or so till dark, on most days of the year. Today will be the same, so maybe bring Nathan by and we'll finally meet. If not, let me know and maybe sometime this week will work. I am going to the movies with my wife tomorrow afternoon, so that would be one day when I'm not here. The Stickman