Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Mmm, Tacos

There are times throughout the school year that are more challenging than others. The first day (and week) of school is a challenge because five year olds don't have a clue about anything at school. Any day with a field trip or assembly is crazy because it's out of the normal routine and causes extra excitement. The first day of snow creates a buzz in the halls and the classroom that causes kindergarteners to bounce off the walls. And then there are holidays. Not President's Day or Columbus Day or Memorial Day. Those are fine. But the other holidays that include gifts or parties or candy. Those holidays are not fun for a kindergarten teacher. A regular kindergarten day is enough to suck every ounce energy from Wonder Woman. But as soon as you throw in costumes or sugar or Santa or wrapping paper it's like that myspace video with the coke and Mentos. And so here's where we are. The day before Halloween. (I have to be careful, they can sense just the thought of it.) I have actually banned the word from my classroom. I know, I know. It's just a fun holiday that lets kids pretend and get treats. Blah, blah, blah. It is the bane of my existence this week and I'm not happy. If you've read my blog for any amount of time you know that I really don't complain much. But today I am suffering from morning sickness*, craving a crunchy taco supreme from taco bell, and having to deal with 13 five year olds, who if I could choose their costumes, would all be dressed as those flying monkeys from The Wizard of Oz.

Oh, well. A few more days and it will all be over. At least until mid-November when Christmas trees appear.

*Yes, I'm pregnant. That's a blog for another day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand the flying monkey reference. Hopefully pajamas will fill your classroom with a sense of relaxation and tranquility.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Cookies and costumes, I mean pajamas! Party, party, party! Oh, wait, I mean relaxation and tranquility....

Anonymous said...

Remember, the flying monkeys were only evil and destructive when they were under the control of the Wicked Witch of the West. So, if they are flying monkeys...

Jen said...

Dear Offended Parent,
If it would make my little monkeys obey my every command, I would wear green face paint and a pointy hat to school everyday. Oh, if it were only so easy.

Anonymous said...

I'll give you a dollar to try it tomorrow.

Jen said...

Ahh, man. I could have made a buck if I'd only read the comments last night. :)

Katrina said...

I'll give you a buck, Jen. I'll give you two, even, if you'll pick me up one of those crunchy taco supremes when you run through Taco Bell. ;)