Monday, October 01, 2007

Persuasion

Yesterday at church I taught the elementary Bible class for the regular teachers who were out of town. Both of my boys were in the class and very excited that I was their teacher. I was teaching a lesson on Noah and how he made the right decision to live for God. One of the activities was to hold some little plastic stars behind my back, half marked with tape and half not marked. The class had to guess if they were marked or not and got to keep the ones they guessed right. They won the game if they had the most stars at the end. The trick was that there were two persuaders who tried to convince them which way to vote. Adam was the persuader who I told to always tell the truth and Josh was the persuader who I told to always lie. It didn't take the kids long to figure out what the persuaders were doing and they won 4 to 2. After the game, I asked them how they knew which persuader to believe. One boy said, "Well, Adam is younger and cuter so he must be the most honest." Obviously Josh took offense at that. Especially the cuter part! But he wasn't too upset and even told his dad the story after church. I personally think they are both the cutest kids I know and am proud of how honest they are. But I might keep the "younger and cuter" advice in mind the next time I vote.

3 comments:

Ada said...

I love the younger and cuter theory. As I am younger...however... I think that if we tested this at mom and dads you would win hands down. You, like our mother cannot tell a lie. I have the gift of trickery. (Thats what I like to call it.) I would have went w/Adam on this one too, btw. He does have that face. :)

Katrina said...

Oh, dear, don't do that! We might end up with President John Edwards after all! LOL... (Not that *I* think he's cute, but they don't call him the Breck Girl for nothing.)

Seriously, your boys are both adorable; it's so fun watching them grow up. I think you picked the right persuaders--if Adam had been asked to lie, that impish twinkle in his eye would have given it away in a heartbeat!

Jen said...

Ada, I can't believe that you didn't say that you're cuter, too. You know it's true!! :) And Adam really does have that face, doesn't he?

Katrina, you are so right. Adam couldn't tell a lie even if it was part of the game. I guess he's like mom and me. We are not very good at "trickery."