Wednesday, April 15, 2009

That Counts


When we do school, we mark each lesson that we complete and also count hours that we spend doing learning activities. We can also count things like swimming lessons for PE hours. And concerts for music hours. And pumpkin farm field trips for science hours.

But my question today is, what should I mark for this morning? The boys have spent most of their school time building and watching a trap meant to catch a chipmunk under the front porch. It consists of a box, a stick, a string, and a saltine cracker with peanut butter on it. During this time, they have also discovered a dead mouse, caught some kind of weird looking beetles, found a tiny seedling tree growing next to the porch, and worked/played together without arguing once.

Could be science (animals and plants). Could be math (angles and probability). Could be health (don't touch a dead mouse and effective hand washing). Could be history (old fashioned trap). I think I'll count time for all of them.

And now I'm going to go sing them a song so that I can count music, too.

2 comments:

Linda said...

It's a cross-curricular project. Those are the best kind.

Ada said...

If you want to see a squirrel just bring the boys to my house to meet the three legged baby squirrel who made himself a part of the Rouse family the other day. I have pictures and videos. The pictures are of the squirrel...in Adams hand. Shocking i know.