Thursday, July 26, 2012

10 Things Thursday

10 things about today...

1. I forgot it was Thursday. Today is the first day I've worked this week and it feels more like Monday than Thursday.
2. Chris at Bistro on Spruce didn't know what day it was either when I called to make dinner reservations for tonight. Me: "Do I need to make reservations for dinner tonight?" Chris: "Ummm, what day is it?" Turns out I did need to make reservations with Spamalot opening tonight and lots of people going out for dinner. I also got a thumbs up on the play from Chris who saw a preview last night.
3. We are having dinner at Bistro on Spruce (in case you missed that). I've never been there and always look forward to trying new local restaurants. I'll give a review tomorrow.
4. Then it's opening night of Spamalot (in case you missed that). It's supposed to be pretty funny. It's based on Monty Python's The Holy Grail. How can it not be funny?
5. At school today, a little boy killed a grasshopper "right in front of" Julianna. She was traumatized. She screams like a little girl when she sees some bugs, but apparently grasshoppers rank right up there with puppies for her.
6. I signed up a new student for my class next year. I'll be teaching a combined 4 and 5 year old kindergarten class. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to try some new techniques to get them reading and writing quicker and better.
7. I pulled out the 7th grade science book since I will also be teaching middle school math, science, and history in the afternoons. I'm planning to do lots of hands-on, interactive lessons and wanted to see what I have to work with. One topic I get to teach is insects. Maybe Jules can help.
8. It's absolutely amazing the mess 10 kids can make in a matter of seconds. And even more amazing that it takes them forever to clean it up.
9. I am finding it bittersweet that summer vacation is about to enter its final month. It means that school will be starting in just over a month (bitter)* but it also means that this summer school childcare situation is about to enter its final month (sweet).**
10. I wonder if Bistro on Spruce has fish and chips on their menu. I could really go for some fish and chips.

*School starting is only bitter because of the getting up and going to work every single day. I really love teaching and am so blessed to spend my days in the same building as my own children.
**I love teaching, but I don't so much love unstructured childcare. May sound weird, but they are two totally different jobs.

No comments: