Friday, February 13, 2009

Heart Day


Tomorrow is Valentine's Day. But this year, I haven't had to spend time this week helping the boys fill out little cards for classmates. I haven't had to fill treat bags with tiny chocolate bars and lollipops. I haven't had to put the names of kindergartners on Care Bear valentines. I haven't had to plan a party that, regardless of the plan, would include 3 1/2 minutes of frantic 5 year olds putting cards in each others decorated kleenex boxes, 6 minutes of oohing and ahhing over said cards, and then 10 minutes of a game I like to call "how much sugar can a kindergartner ingest in one sitting." And I've missed it. I miss days like this when I know that you can feel the excitement. Days that go beyond reading and counting. Days when the bond between teacher and student grows deeper simply because of the valentine that is lovingly chosen by each student especially for me. I even miss that feeling at the end of a party day consisting of one part excitement, one part sugar rush, and 98 parts exhaustion. It's days like today when I miss being a teacher.

Okay, so I'm still a teacher. I'm always a teacher. But this year our valentine's party will consist of picking valentines for each other off the rack at Target, showing them to each other, then putting them back. This is a tradition Arrty and I started many years ago and this year will be expanded to include the kids. We will also go to the valentine aisle and each pick out a treat. Then we'll go to lunch and a movie. Then stop on the way home to pick up the heart shaped pizza that I bought in the school fundraiser and head home for games and family time. This year I have four valentines. The one I'm married to and the three we've created.

So, yes, I miss party days. Crazy as that sounds to the other teachers reading this. It even sounds a little crazy to me. And just in case you read this before your valentine's party, Kathy, Katrina, and Marci, eat a heart shaped sugar cookie covered with pink frosting for me.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Mission accomplished.

And not only the heart shaped, pink frosted sugar cookie, but a cupcake sprinkled with red hots, a brownie, and a fruit shish kabob provided by one angelic mother who knew that a little health food might not go amiss.

I was going to blog about this, too--but I am exhausted!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the nice visit yesterday with your family, they are growing up so fast. I know the boys had a good time, the timing for your visit was perfect. Since they are getting bigger, I will look for a couple of stout Maple pieces and turn them in to something they will have forever. Maybe on your next visit. Take care, The Stickman