Friday, April 20, 2007

Music To My Ears

What I am about to write only very few people know. And I wouldn't tell just anyone this information because it could harm my reputation. But since I know that I can trust you to keep this just between us, here goes. When I started "going with" my husband when I was in fifth grade and he was in sixth grade, our song was "Islands In The Stream" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. (Pause to give you time to laugh.) I know it's ridiculous, but it was 1983 after all and it was a top ten song. And then in 1989 when we resumed our relationship after a few years apart, our song was Sherriff's "When I'm With You." (That's a totally awesome song. Some might even say it's rad!) And now, after almost 15 years of marriage, we don't officially have a song. But I find myself thinking of him when I hear certain songs. Most recently, it's "Easy Silence" by the Dixie Chicks. Here are a few lines of the song that make me think of him.

When the calls and conversations
Accidents and accusations
Messages and misperceptions
Paralyze my mind
Busses, cars, and airplanes leavin'
Burnin' fumes and gasoline and
Everyone is running and I
Come to find the refuge in the
Easy silence that you make for me
It's ok when there's nothing more to say to me
And the peaceful quiet you create for me
And the way you keep the world at bay for me
The way you keep the world at bay for me


After everything we've been through in the past year, he has never complained once about my craziness. As a matter of fact, in his arms is the one place that I have always felt safe and loved. I can't quite figure out why I was blessed with him as my husband, but I'm sure glad I was.

2 comments:

Amy said...

The Dixie Chicks song is one of my favs. I listen to it over and over and think that's exactly how love feels. I'm so glad you enjoy it, too!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that your husband feels just as blessed as you do. You rely on each other-ah,ah. (I guess that is how you spell it-ha,ha)