Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day

They say that Mother's Day is a day to honor mothers. And that's true. I honored my mother and felt honored by my sons and husband. But more than that for me, it's a day to reflect on myself as a mother. I have this idea of the kind of mother I want to be: godly, gentle, fun, disciplined... And this day each year gives me the chance to do that. This year I feel closer to who I want to be than ever before. Through a very difficult past year, I have had times when I couldn't be the mom I wanted to be to my sons. Physical injuries and emotional distress took away a lot of time and energy from my family. It was the day that I realized that I couldn't take care of my boys that I made my first counseling appointment. It was when feeding and bathing my children became nearly impossible that I fully realized the seriousness of my illness. Thanks to God and some very good doctors, I am now able to not only care for my children the way they need to be cared for, but enjoy doing it as well. I am so grateful for my sons. They are my greatest gifts from above. (And their dad isn't too bad either.) :)

And this year, I'm glad to say that I had a very happy mother's day.

1 comment:

Amy said...

What a great point you make. It's so true that we need to reflect on how we are doing as moms and to know if we are doing God's will for our family or not.

Thanks for this reminder. I'm going to have to give it some serious time for my own life to know what I need to work on and improve, and what areas I am doing better at, too!!