Monday, May 21, 2007

My Weekend

Friday--I hosted the birthday party that wouldn't end. Arrty, Adam and I got to a local park at 1:45 to set up. Adam's school friends showed up at the park around 2:15. We played, demolished a poor alligator pinata, ate cupcakes, and opened presents. The kids started leaving at about 4:15 at which time our extended family started arriving for round two. We ate snacks, played catch, told stories, ate cake, and opened presents. After cleanup we headed home at 7:15. Needless to say, our family was in bed and soundly asleep by 9:00.

Saturday--I took a technology test to renew my teaching certification from 8:00 to about 1:15. There were five tasks and I think I did okay. I can play around and figure out most programs well enough to pass. (I hope.) Then I picked up the boys from Grandma and Pappy's house and we headed home for a nap. (Still exhausted from all the birthday festivities.) At 5:00 we went to the church building for an adoption fundraising dinner. We all tried the Thai food that was served and everything was exotic and delicious. After that we took Adam to see "Shrek the Third." (A birthday gift from one of his school friends.)

Sunday--We were at church from 9:00-12:00 and then went to lunch at Outback. Outback is a rare treat, but the Bible class teacher said something about steak and when I leaned over and whispered, "Mmmm, steak," into Arrty's ear, the deal was sealed. You don't have to ask him twice to go out for steak. When we were leaving the restaurant, Josh told me that he named the wooden crocodile outside "Al." "That's a good name," I said. "Joshua is a good name, too," he replied. Then of course I had to tell him AGAIN the story of how we named him. When I was finished, he said, "Thanks for naming me Joshua, Mom. That name rocks out loud!" I love when I do things that rock out loud! :) Sunday afternoon was spent cleaning up the house which still looked like a birthday party exploded all over it.

Monday--I know that this isn't the weekend, but I needed to share about the emergency trip to Target on the way to school. On the drive in to town, Adam suddenly made a sound of disgust and kicked off one of his shoes. Josh looked down and exclaimed, "You're wearing two different shoes!" Apparently Adam had already noticed, hence the sound of disgust. It struck me as funny and I laughed out loud forgetting that Adam DOES NOT like to be laughed at unless he's trying to be laughed at. Needless to say, he was not happy. Knowing how embarrassed he would be if someone noticed his shoes at school, we stopped and bought a pair at Target. (Thank goodness they open at 8:00.) He was happy and I was happy knowing that I had saved my sensitive son from some unnecessary embarrassment. Just as a side note, one of the shoes that Adam had on wasn't even his--it was Josh's! :)

7 comments:

Katrina said...

You do rock out loud! Nice save with the shoes there, Mom! (I would have been sunk, since I'm perpetually running late and wouldn't have wisely left time in the schedule for unplanned shoe emergencies.)

What a full weekend! Our kids had a blast at the party, and they've been sleeping with the stuffed monkeys every night since. Katie named hers something embarassingly girly that I can't remember right this second (something like Rainbow Sprinkles; I'm sure your boys would be mortified) and Caleb changes the name of his hourly; they love them!

So how was Shrek III? As cute as it looks?

Amy said...

I agree, you do rock out loud! I love that phrase and love that your kid used it to describe you!!

Good job saving a bit of embarrassment for your son!

Anonymous said...

I probably have mentioned to you that MY Joshua also hated for people to laugh at him when he was about Adam's age. Does it have anything to do with having an older brother who loves to plan your life for you? I am happy to say that Josh has overcome this aversion. We are still working on the older brother thing.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, yeah, morning prayer is scheduled for 8:00. She still made it before we prayed! You terminated your Monday list before including our trip to the book warehouse and blizzards. I think you rock, too! And I hope you didn't leave the part about it taking you four days to name Josh. That's MY favorite part of the story!

Katrina said...

Oh, yeah! I remember that story! But the way I heard it, it was a whole week before Josh had a name... ;)

Jen said...

Okay, that's it. I must set the record straight. It is true that the names we had picked out for a boy didn't fit Josh, and we indeed did not instantly have a name for him. However, contrary to the rumors, he was named the NEXT day. Yes, he was only one day old when he was named. Not 4 days. Not 7 days. Not 365 days. But one day old. So there.

Anonymous said...

Ok. I have to say a few things. Rock out loud is the best saying I have heard in a long time and will be adopting it and passing it as my own. (thanks josh) We all loved the party as well. You do a great job every year. the shoe story made me laugh out loud and then I read it to Adam and he lauged out loud too. the funny thing is...I wore two different shoes to work last month and only noticed when my shoes didn't make the same noise on the tile floor at work. I should have called you to save me. But the one comment I have to make is this...it was WAY MORE than one day. Are you kidding me? That sweet Josh was nameless wonder for at least a week. At least. :) ada