Saturday, May 26, 2007

Sticks and Stones

Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny North Idaho day and since we didn't have school and my husband got off work early, we decided to spend a nice family afternoon together. We went to lunch then drove downtown to check out the lake. As we were heading around Tubbs Hill, I started telling my boys about The Stickman. He lives on the east side of Tubbs Hill and can be seen everyday sitting in his garage creating walking sticks that are much more than that. I was hoping he would be out and that we could find him. I had never visited him, but had heard lots about him at Huckleberries Online and from other bloggers. And lo and behold, as we turned the corner, there he was sitting in the sun working on a beautiful stick that was curved and then about halfway down branched off into two sticks that wound around each other and then met at the bottom. I introduced myself and my family and he began showing us around and telling us the story behind many of his sticks. I thought a stick was a stick, but The Stickman turns these little pieces of God's creation into works of art. He whittles and sands until the wood is smoother than I ever thought possible. Some had toothmarks left by beavers. Some were knotted. Some were heavy. Others light as a feather. But each one was beautiful and I could tell that The Stickman treasured each one because of what they had been and what he had made them. When he told us that we could each choose one, I'm pretty sure the boys smiles couldn't have been any bigger. These boys love sticks (and rocks, which he also let them choose from his collection.)

I spotted my stick right away. It is a light color and has darker markings up and down that look like ancient artwork. These markings were made by some unknown insects as they traveled in a branch of some unknown tree. But the fact that creatures that share this earth with me played a part in the creation of my stick made it the perfect one for me. It's truly a treasure.

Arrty also quickly chose his stick. He had one in each hand and was looking back and forth trying to decide. I knew which one he would pick before he did. He chose a strong, sturdy stick made out of ironwood. It is unbreakable and reliable. Just like him.

Adam chose next. He chose a smooth maple stick just the right size for him. He wanted a straight stick and certainly found one. And it had a green stone on the top and green shells attached the the side. Green is his favorite color so it couldn't have been better.

Josh took the longest to decide. He must have picked up a dozen sticks and looked them over. The Stickman joked about his indecision which made us all laugh. (It takes him forever to just decide what he wants to drink with dinner!) He finally chose more of a wand than a stick. On the top is a shiny stone called hematite. The Stickman told Josh that it was a very rare stone which made him even more sure of his choice.

The boys oohed and aahed over their sticks all the way home and kept saying what a nice man The Stickman was. We discussed why we chose the stick we did and the stones that were on them. The boys thought it was so cool how there were so many different kinds of sticks. They hardly put their sticks down all evening and even put them beside their beds when they went to sleep. Josh even said that he wants to be a stickman when he grows up. And I couldn't keep myself from picking mine up one more time and studying it a little closer before I went to bed either. It was truly a great experience and one our family won't soon forget. Thanks, Stickman. For the sticks, the memory and the joy you share with others by sharing your art.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Butterfly Moment: Such a nice visit and nice words on your description of the events of that visit. I love what I do and it makes it all worthwhile when the kids come by, and of course adults too. I posted something on the wild card for Saturday hoping you would read it, and then decided to also come here and see your blog. It's very nice and thanks again for the nice visit with your family. Back to work for me, I have a large class coming by on Wednesday. The Stickman

Katrina said...

What a great post! You described the magic of the Stickman perfectly (and I loved your comments about how each member of your family chose their sticks--you are such an insightful wife and mother!)

Woot for the Stickman!