Thursday, May 24, 2007

Music Gene

I love music. I love listening to music, singing, going to concerts, watching musicals, and hope someday to learn to play the guitar I got for Christmas a few years ago. I like all kinds of music and can listen to pretty much anything for at least a little while. My music of preference right now is rock. My husband, too, prefers rock, but from the 80's. Our cd collection is quite varied. We have everything from Beethoven to the Beach Boys, Natalie Cole to Night Ranger, and Flatts and Scruggs to Rascal Flats. My favorite new cd is by Daughtry and it happens to be the one in my car cd player right now. (Chris is the best thing to come out of American Idol if you ask me.)

This love of music that my husband and I have has been passed down to our sons. They both love music and the louder the better. (That they get from their dad alone!) Josh loves to sing and my favorite time that he sings is in church. He sings out loud and proud now that he can read the words. Adam is more of a dancer and likes fast music that he can jump around to. Being a former choir geek, I love that my boys love music. But sometimes I have to wonder. Like the other day we were at McDonald's for dinner and they both started singing some song that I didn't recognize. They said it was a song they heard in Daddy's car the day before. When Arrty got back to the table, I asked him about it. He said, with a twinkle in his eye, "It's from Motley Crue." I had to laugh. My six and seven year old sons were singing Motley Crue. Their parents must have grown up in the eighties! :)

One thing that my boys can say when they're grown is that they were exposed to all kinds of music. And when somebody sings, "Shot through the heart and you're to blame...," they'll know how to finish it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

...Honey, you give love a BAD NAME.

Josh has that "Rock On" finger thing and the head banging down, too.

Katrina said...

What can we say? Love is a battlefield...

By the way, I'm LOVING "Daughtry"! My totally fave song is "Crashed"--so awesome!

Idaho Dad said...

I, too, play all kinds of music for my kids. Just this week we listened to songs by The Beatles, Roger Whittaker, Relient K, Frank Sinatra, Simple Plan, and Rufus Wainwright. Sometimes I think I play too much variety for them, to where they won't hear the same song twice, so I make sure to include some of their favorite songs on multiple playlists.

Anonymous said...

OK. I don't want to hear anything when Aidan starts singing "Fergilicious" if Arrty lets them listen to Motley Crue. ada

Anonymous said...

I remember once having the universal argument with Ian about how in every family since the beginning of automobile radios, the children are subjected to the musical tastes of the parents. I pointed out that wasn't he lucky that he has cool parents and gets to listen to CCR and not the Statler Brothers like I did. I guess that is still a matter of opinion. I also remember a friend laughing about three-year-old Amelia singing "We are the Champions" at one of the boy's T-ball games. I just smiled and thought, "Please don't sing 'Fat Bottomed Girls', please don't sing 'Fat Bottomed Girls'!"