Monday, August 06, 2007

Close to Home

This past weekend we had planned a weekend trip to Montana. But we were reminded that there was a big festival taking place just outside Missoula, where we would be staying. (I'd tell you the name of the festival, but Arrty said that my use of the word involved has reached its limit, so you'll have to check out the link.) There would be 15,000 extra visitors to the city, so we decided to stay home. The boys were already excited about our trip and were disappointed when the plans changed. To make it up to them, we let them choose many of the weekend's activities. So here's what we did.

Friday:

Skyhawks (the boys sports camp) finale. It was great fun to watch them practice all that they had learned during the week in tournaments with their campmates. And Arrty got to go watch, which thrilled the boys. They love to share these kinds of things with both of us.

Lunch at Red Lobster (Adam's choice). We all love Red Lobster, even though Adam usually orders mac and cheese.

(Friday night I went to see Hairspray with my girls. But that will be tomorrow's blog.)

Saturday:

We spent the morning doing chores like cleaning house, mowing lawn, doing laundry, etc. Then we made a quick visit to my folks' house and had a late lunch at Outback (Arrty's choice). The boys had ribs, Arrty had the porterhouse, and even though I wanted to try the chicken, I couldn't resist the Outback Special. Then we went to see "Underdog" (the movie). It was really cute and the boys loved it. I love taking Josh to funny movies because he has this wonderful laugh that fills up the theater. Very cute. Adam giggles and shakes, and is just as cute. Then we went to Home Depot with a short list of home improvement items.

Sunday

We spent Sunday morning, just as we do every Sunday morning, at church.

Then we went to Silverwood Theme Park which is only about five minutes from our house. The boys wanted to go to the water park first, and since it was their day to choose the activities, that's where we went. (Here's where I wish I had a digital camera so that I could share some of my pictures.) They spent an hour and a half playing in the water while Arrty and I sat in the sun and talked about life, our family and all of the body art we were seeing. Then we went to the ice skating show, the magic show (which the boys loved so much that they bought magic tricks for their souvenirs), and on the train ride. After that it was time to hit the rides. We went on the raft ride and the log ride twice each, the Ferris wheel, and Arrty and Adam went on Timber Terror. (Josh isn't much of a roller coaster fan.) And the boys went on the last ride of the night on the Red Baron kiddie planes. Then we had to make a trip to the candy shop where the boys bought huge tubes of colored sugar that they got to fill themselves. They had a great day and so I had a great day.

So we didn't get to go to Montana, but we sure had fun close to home. And we got to sleep in our own beds, which is always a bonus if you ask me.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Let's hear it for sleeping in your own bed!!! I love to travel as much as anyone, but as I get older, I'm coming to realize that I also have a rather large homebody streak, and the kind of fun you can have close to home and still return to lay your head on your own pillow sounds like a great family weekend to me!