Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Moose On The Loose

Ever since I read about Marmitetoasty's love for moose, I have wanted to show her these painted moose that we have in town. There were originally lots of these moose statues that were painted by professional artists. They were placed all over town and then sold to benefit local schools. They appeared in parades, in front of businesses and in parks. A few were purchased by locals and are still here. I found six of them.

This one is on a condo balcony on the corner of Government Way and Sherman Ave. It seems kind of out of place, but you never know where you might see moose these days!

This one stands outside the school district building on 4th Street. Check out the victorian boots.

This one is standing in front of Kootenai Medical Center. I love that it is surrounded by a huge flower garden.

This one is in front of Cafe Doma on the corner of 5th and Sherman. Pedestrians can get up close and personal with this one since it's right on the sidewalk. This was the most dangerous picture to take. I had to parallel park!!

To get the picture of this one I had to go through the drive through at Del Taco. The boys were thrilled because they got root beers. And I got a diet coke. The cartoon character theme is especially fun.

I think this one is my favorite. I love the mini moose riding on top and the nature theme of the painting. It stands in front of Forest Steel on Government Way.

It was really fun driving around looking for moose and taking pictures. I'm probably lucky I wasn't in an accident or at least yelled at (or worse) by other drivers! It was quite a little adventure, in the spirit of Marmie herself.

5 comments:

Idaho Dad said...

Wow! Great detective work. I didn't realize there were so many of them still lurking around town. Coeur d'Alene needs more public art!

B.R.M said...

Good Job Jen! Marmie will love them!

TN Becky

Katrina said...

I love those moose, too! Such a fun little surprise as they pop up all over town! There's another one in front of the CDA library, I think (the old one), and one in front of a business on Best Avenue. I wonder how many are still around in total? Thanks for sharing your pics! (Were these taken with your fab new camera, perchance?)

Northerner said...

Awesome photo's of the smooses. Do you know how many there were in total and how many are left?

Scots said...

these are so cool ... Edinburgh did painted cows a few years back ... they are still around the place but not quite as interesting as moose