Friday, August 03, 2007

Hurried

Every month I publish a women's newsletter at our church called Grace Notes. It contains ministry news, upcoming events, a getting to know you page, and an article that I write. I thought I would share this month's article.


Hurried

“Hurry up, Adam.” “Let’s go, Adam.” “Catch up, Adam.” These are all things that I say several times a day. Adam is just one of those people who takes his time. He’s never in a hurry for anything and has the tendency to get distracted by the littlest thing: a bug or a feather or a flower. It’s one of the things about him that drives me crazy and it’s one of the things about him that I love. This particular personality trait in my youngest son causes all errands to take twice as long as they should. It causes me to practice patience when I sometimes don’t want to. And it reminds me to slow down and enjoy life a little more.
This week Josh and Adam have been at Skyhawks, a sports day camp where they have been learning and practicing baseball, soccer, and basketball. I’ve stayed close by walking in the park and sitting in the shade reading and writing. And from the very first day, all over the park, I could hear Adam’s coach saying, “Come on, Adam.” “Hurry up, Adam.” “Let’s go, Adam.” I couldn’t help but smile. Hearing it from someone else has helped me to understand and appreciate my little slowpoke a little better. But I began to wonder about his coach. It he getting frustrated at his straggler? Is he tired of hurrying him along? He doesn’t know and love Adam the way I do and, although he’s been very patient, I’m sure he hasn’t had the time to grow to appreciate Adam’s lack of hurriedness.
This, like so many other things in life has caused me to consider my relationship to God. How many times has he said to me, “Hurry up, Jen?” “Come on, Jen.” “Let’s go, Jen.” There are things in my life that I’m supposed to be doing but haven’t quite gotten around to yet. There are places I’m supposed to go and people I’m supposed to see, but have gotten distracted by urgency instead. But I’m blessed because, like I know and love Adam, God knows and loves me. Even more. And lucky for me, he has unending patience and teaches me, even on the soccer field, to listen to his voice. So now when I hear that voice hurrying me along, I’ll try to pick up the pace. And the next time I’m rushing Adam, I’ll be a little more patient.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Great article, and wonderful point!!

Bay Views said...

Oh, my. It made me want to seek out a church.