Thursday, August 23, 2007

Everything by Number

What does it mean when a kid counts everything? My Adam does that. When we were at "Walking with the Dinosaurs" he leaned over and said "15." 15? "15 what?" I asked. "15 teeth on that big dinosaur mouth," he answered. I never would have thought to count the teeth in the huge mouth that framed the curtain where the dinosaurs appeared, but he did. Since then he has also started counting many more things, including the train cars that pass whenever we get stopped at the crossing. I didn't even know he was doing it until one day he said, "What comes after 99?!? What comes after 99?!?" Once I told him, he hurried and caught up with his counting and ended up on 257. Wow! That was a long train. Who knew? He has also apparently been counting the days that his brother has had the "American Dragon Jake Long" game boy game. A million. As in, "He's had that game for a million days. When do I get a turn?" I'm not so sure that one's accurate.

Last night at motocross at the North Idaho Fair he said, "Mom, did you know that there are 8 of those bumpy things on the track?" "No I didn't know that." But I do know how many times he asked for a snow cone. A million.

3 comments:

B.R.M said...

It starts when they are just babies. Remember how cute it was -when we would start counting
"1..." and they would say "2" so very cute-like (a new word).
And then we would gush.

Or when we count to give them that one last chance... "Okay I am going to count to 5 - and you better be in this kitchen!"

Katrina said...

Heehee! I hope he got the snow cone--all that asking is thirsty work!

My recent counting experience only goes up to three, the three count that means "you are now in big trouble, mister!" It's gotten so that Caleb hates the counting more than the actual punishment. He'll wail, "No! Don't count me, please!" (I hate to laugh in the middle of a matter of disciplinary significance, but it's pretty cute.)

Jen said...

Yes, he did get the snow cone. And I got one, too. :)