Monday, August 06, 2007

Hairspray

I can't tell you how much I love this movie. As the opening scene began, I started smiling and I don't think I stopped for the next hour and forty-seven minutes. I love the music. I love the characters. And I love the story of "Hairspray."

Tracy Turnblad is played by the amazing newcomer Nikki Blonsky. She does a terrific job getting Tracy's passion for dance across to the audience. And that passion comes out in all of the scenes she's a part of whether she is doing a solo or dancing and singing in a group. I love that Tracy is confident, determined, open-minded and accepting. She's who I would want my daughter to be if I had a daughter. The cute-as-can-be Zac Efron* plays Link. The relationship between Tracy and Link is so sweet to watch as they realize that, despite their differences, they are meant for each other. The scene where Link sings to Tracy's picture is one of my favorites. The incredible Elijah Kelley and the ultra-adorable Amanda Bynes are also among my favorite characters as friends of Tracy and Link. Not to mention Christopher Walken, "The Queen" Latifah, Michelle Pheiffer, and James Marsden.

But my favorite character is Edna, Tracy's mom. She is played by the buxom beauty...John Travolta. Yep. John Travolta. I have to admit that when I heard that he was playing a woman in the movie I thought it might be bad. But I was wrong. I love Edna and Mr. Travolta played her to perfection. Edna is just wonderfully sweet and entertaining. She worries about her daughter, frets over her own appearance, and loves her husband. And she overcomes her fears to step out of her comfort zone to stand with Tracy, protect her marriage, and shake it like she's never shaken it before on live t.v. Go Edna!

When you put all of these amazing characters together with the terrific soundtrack and the feel-good plot, you get a movie that I can't wait to own. It just makes me happy! It made me happy on the night I saw it and it makes me happy now to think about it. And I love it when the chubby girl gets the guy!

*Don't tell anyone, but I love "High School Musical" even though I haven't been in high school for 17 years. High School Musical 2 premieres on August 17!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

A most hearty "ditto" to everything! It was the perfect GNO movie, and I totally wanted to go dancing afterwards! I see a soundtrack purchase in my future... ("Good morning, Coeur d'Alene!")

Scots said...

I am heading to see this next week with some friends and am looking forward to the performance from John Travolta - the trailers look hilarious!!!