Saturday, February 23, 2008

Roller Derby

No show and tell this week.

On Friday we packed up all the kids and went roller skating. The 7 1/2 minute bus ride seemed like an hour and a half. And it took a good 30 minutes to get all my kindergartners in skates and all the laces tied. But after that, they were off. Some of them had never skated before and it showed. But they are fearless and were soon scooting around the rink. Except for two. One chose to crawl around and one chose to crab walk around. Whatever works I guess. They all had a lot of fun and I got to sit back, drink a diet coke, and watch as they smiled and laughed and fell and learned all on their own.

My youngest son, Adam, asked me to play air hockey with him in the arcade at one point. That's kind of our thing. Whenever we go anywhere with an air hockey table, he issues a challenge. And of course, I couldn't pass it up. He was quickly ahead 3-1. Until he forgot that he was on skates and instantaneously disappeared under the table. Nothing was left but his little round handle spinning on the table. Luckily he wasn't injured and it was so funny how fast it all happened that I was glad I could laugh. He ended up beating me 5-4. I'd like to say I let him win, but I didn't. He completely out played me. Ahhh...the teacher has become the student I guess.

And I'm not quite sure how it happened, but one of my students ended up with only one skate. The other one he apparently took off and stashed somewhere. He eventually found it and was able to reclaim his shoes. I'm still not really sure where it was all that time.

After two and a half hours, we were loaded back on the bus and headed back to school. The kids were all exhausted (and therefore actually quiet for a minute). And now they are all better skaters and have another fun memory of their kindergarten year.

No comments: