Saturday, February 09, 2008

This Week

I have at least one idea every day for a blog post, but finding the time to actually sit down and write gets tricky. So here are a few "long stories short" from the last week that could have been their own posts.

Josh and Adam went to Katie's video game birthday party last Friday where awards were handed out at the end of the night. Adam got the award for "Good Sportsmanship"...and Josh got the award for "Most Uses of the Word 'Dude'." Ah, they make a mother proud.

Saturday I went to see "Juno." I loved it. Juno (the character) is a crack up and wonderfully smart, funny, and courageous. Ellen Page definitely deserves her Oscar nod.

I also found out the one downside to going to the movies alone. If you have left over popcorn, you have to take it into the bathroom with you after the show because there's no one to stand watch outside. At least I ate enough to be able to fold the top of the bag down. (And by the way, if you are walking in front of a pregnant women who just drank 32 ounces of diet coke, get out of the way!)

We watched the Superbowl on Sunday and it turned out just as I predicted...I napped through the game (well, the 2nd and 3rd quarters at least), and woke up for the commercials.

A miracle occurred at school this week. During chapel on Thursday, for the first time in 91 days of school, every kindergartener actually stood tall with the right hand on their heart to say the Pledge of Allegiance without me having to correct a single one. I was pleasantly surprised until the little girl two students to my right decided to very loudly speed things up and was 4 words ahead of everyone else. So I guess a miracle almost occurred.

I always thought the mood swings of pregnant women on tv were exaggerated. Until this week. Some kind of mutant hormones kicked in and I was a grouch for three days straight. Not even my nightly peanut butter and honey sandwich could fix it. (All better now, thanks.)

As a teacher, I sometimes have to teach things that are a little silly. Like how to read an electric meter. What are the odds that one of the five students in my 7th grade class will end up being a meter reader? Especially since they are determined to be professional baseball players and video game designers.

My mom called me two nights this week. One night at 7:00 pm and one at 7:15. We chatted casually, but the real reason she called was to tell me that she and dad were going to bed and not to call them. One of the perks of an empty nest I guess.

In the "you learn something new everyday" category: Kathy's friend list is completely full. Until one of us kicks the bucket, the rest of you are out of luck. And Katrina is in love with the semi-colon; she thinks it's the best of all punctuation.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Whew! I'm glad I met Kathy when she still had an opening! And thank you for spreading the word about semicolons--they truly are elegant and useful, especially when you want to avoid a rebel comma splice. Punctuation is feisty, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I guess that I had better behave in case Kathy finds someone else who will teach her how to sew,watch her boys,take her to thrift stores, and not give her crap.

Anonymous said...

If you changed at all, Marci, I'd be heartbroken. What I meant with my statement is- you people are exhausting! In fairness, the discussion was dealing with someone whom I have never met, who did not contact me in an effort to become by friend (so it's not like I'm shunning someone), who lives ALL the way across the country, and who, I am sure, would find me judgmental, narrow minded, and wholly lackadaisical in my parenting skills. Yeah, my kids watch tv AND play on computers. Now, that having been said, consider the time it took for me to figure out what to say, how to say it, and looking up how to spell "lackadaisical" AND make sure I was using it correctly...do you guys think I should branch out and go looking for friends on the internet? There was that one nice little old lady from the chat room that said she would like to meet me one evening in the city park if I would come alone...

MarmiteToasty said...

I just aint having kids when I grow up LOL

x