Thursday, November 20, 2008

Ma

"If more people listened to Ma Ingalls life would be a lot simpler."
Alison Arngrim, season 6

I've decided that I want to be Caroline Ingalls. She was one of those great pioneer moms who could make one chicken feed her family for days. She could make them all clothes without patterns and then use the old, worn out clothes to make quilts to keep them warm when the snow blew in through the cracks in the walls. She could milk the cows and make butter from the milk. Then make perfect bread or biscuits to spread the butter on without a recipe. And while the bread baked, she could cut out paper dolls for her daughters. She read and sang to her children and taught them what they needed to know. She disciplined Laura when she got into trouble for teasing Nellie, but she wasn't too hard on her because she knew that Nellie deserved it. She taught her children the value of everything and helped them to be glad for what they had...like an orange in their Christmas stocking or a handmade doll. She appreciated her husband and did what she could to support him in all he did. She encouraged her children to be and do whatever they wanted. She worked hard every day and did all she could to give her family the happy home that they shared. That all sounds pretty good to me. So that's why I want to be Caroline Ingalls.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

You bet your sweet bippy Nellie deserved it! Nasty, sour-faced, mean-spirited, conniving prairie peacock! I laughed so hard when Laura shoved mud up her nose! Go Laura, go Laura, go Laura!

Oh, wait. That wasn't really the point of this post was it?

Um, yeah. I love Caroline Ingalls for her gentle spirit.

Ahem.

Idaho Dad said...

Well, when I was a kid I wanted to be Pa Ingalls. I've written before about how he's sort of my father role model. Seems like everything I know about parenting I learned from watching Little House.

How's the homeschooling going? We're finally starting to settle into a routine. 70 days after school started!

See you on the Eagle Cruise maybe?

Ada said...

Well this post may just prove how completely opposite we are. I mean I know Ma Ingalls was great and all but I have never wanted to wear that much clothing & kill my own dinner. I have wanted to be lots of other girls...Brenda from 90210, Carrie from Sex and the City, Izzy from Greys (mostly for Denny) :), one of Rev's Runs daughters...well that is real life but still, but never has Ma Ingalls entered the list. Maybe i was adopted?!!?!?!?