Monday, February 01, 2010

Blessed Sunday

I know today is Monday, but yesterday I was blessed with being able to spend the day with my family and unplugged. No computer time means no blogging.

But today I would just like to say that I am feeling blessed to be well. There have been times in the recent past when I wasn't well. And I have been hearing about so many who are going through the same kind of anxiety stuff that I've had to deal with, and still do on occasion. Here's what I would like to tell them. It's okay. You are not having a heart attack/brain tumor/going crazy even though it might feel like it. Google anxiety attack or panic attack. You will be surprised by the mile long list of physical symptoms that can come with one of these terribly scary times. You are not alone. Talk to others. You might find out that someone close to you feels the same way and you can help each other. Get help. Talk to your doctor. Seek counsel from professionals. They will understand and be able to give you answers. And believe me, answers help a lot. Don't be afraid of treatment. I fought and fought against counseling and medication. I hated the feeling that I couldn't control my own mind and body. But if I knew then what I know now, I wouldn't hesitate for even a second to do whatever it takes to be well. Breathe. In through your nose for five counts, hold for five counts, out through your mouth for five counts. It helps.

And for those of you who have never experienced a panic attack but live or work with some one who does, please be patient with them. It is not all in their head. It isn't made up or exaggerated or just them being dramatic. It's serious and painful. Help them understand. And be understanding.

Okay, my public service announcement is now over.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Thank you for this PSA. Until that bout of panic attacks I had last month, I didn't understand at all how debilitating they could be. It was pretty much the worst feeling ever, ever. I was ready to go get medication the day after the first one, anything to make it never happen again.

I'm so thankful you were there to tell me I wasn't crazy!

Unknown said...

I haven't ever had a real panic attack, but I know how it is when you haven't experienced something and kind of think everyone is being dramatic about it. Then you experience it and think, "Boy, I'm a jerk!" (Like morning sickness... I truly thought it was going to be mind over matter. Not so much!) Thanks for the PSA, people need to know! :)