Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Just A Note

When you teach kindergarten, you have many days when little kids come up to you and open little hands that are holding a tiny little tooth. This is the age when most kids start losing their baby teeth. It's very exciting. And sometimes a little scary. Some kids worry about it. Some kids look forward to it. And some kids just can't wait to have that first little pearly white tooth to put under their pillow to exchange with the tooth fairy for a new, shiny quarter. (Or dollar, or whatever she is delivering these days.) But today one of my youngest kindergartners came in and handed me a note that she wanted me to read. It said...

Dear H.,
Those are lovely rocks, but I am sorry I can't take them. I only take teeth. I am sure you will lose yours soon and I will be back for them. Try to be patient.
Your friend,
The Tooth Fairy

Yes, she tried to trick the tooth fairy into thinking that the little white rocks she found were teeth. But, as you can see, the tooth fairy wasn't born yesterday. She knows the difference between rocks and teeth. And I'm sure this isn't the first time she's found things under pillows that weren't teeth. But wasn't it nice of Miss Fairy to write H. a note explaining things. And strangely enough, her handwriting looks just like H.'s mom's handwriting.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Hahaha! That is precious. That Tooth Fairy's a sharp tack, I guess.

Unknown said...

What a resourceful child!

Ada said...

double love this story. :)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story. They'll laugh over it together when H. is old enough to identify the Tooth Fairy.