Saturday, March 07, 2009

Missed

This morning something happened that a few years ago I thought would never happen to me again. Something that when it happened before was slightly annoying but now I look back on with fond memories. Something that often interrupted my only moment of peace and quiet most days. Something that I didn't know I was missing until it happened again. What could it possibly be you ask? It's tiny little fingers appearing under the bathroom door when I'm in there. Tiny little fingers attached to tiny little arms attached to a tiny little body that, on hands and knees, had followed me down the hall without me knowing. And this morning when I saw those tiny little fingers, do you know what I did? I laughed. I laughed right out loud sitting there. Not for one second was it in the least bit annoying. I just laughed and soaked it in. One, because tiny little fingers are so adorable wherever they are, even peeking under the bathroom door. And two, because I know how quickly those fingers grow and no longer follow me wherever I go.

Now I look forward to the next step which, of course, is little toys flying under the door. With the boys it was plastic lizards and snakes and dinosaurs. What will it be with Jules? Barbie shoes and Polly Pocket pieces and barrettes? Who knows? But when it happens, and it will happen, I'll let you know.

Until then, I'll enjoy moments like these that are oh so fleeting.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

You know, until just now, I hadn't really noticed that my kids no longer do that. When was the last time? I couldn't tell you. I'm so glad that you are enjoying every stage of motherhood to its fullest (and reminding me to do the same!)

Jeanie said...

Oh, that brought back special memories. I remember those little fingers. They now belong to two men in their mid-30s. Grandchildren cannot appear fast enough. Thanks for such sweet thoughts.