Wednesday, March 04, 2009

37

Two years ago when I turned 35, I wrote this list of 35 things I had learned over my 35 years of life. Here I am two years later turning 37. Two years older and two years smarter. (Well, maybe only a year and a half smarter.) So I thought I'd go back to see if I have any new insights (found in italics) on these things that I have learned. And, of course, add two more things that I've learned over the last two years.

*Sunny days make me feel better than gray days. The sunnier, the better.
*A child’s laughter is the best sound on earth. And it always makes me laugh, too.
*Good meals are best shared with good friends. Especially if it's followed by dessert.
*God’s timing is perfect. But is very rarely my idea of perfect.
*Change little boys’ diapers as fast as possible. And do the same for little girls.
*Father (and Mother) really do know best. And they know not to say, "I told you so."
*It’s fun being married to my childhood sweetheart. Shared memories are a gift.
*Always order the combination plate (and be prepared to share). It takes more than one item to make a combination plate. Always go for at least three.
*God did not give me a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline. And the greatest of these is love.
*Wear pajamas as much as possible. Which is one of the great things about homeschooling.
*Summer vacation is best spent on the beach. And with kids.
*A clean house makes me feel good. I wish I had a maid.
*Prayer is my most powerful tool. And my most used tool.
*There’s nothing better than a good nap. Absolutely nothing.
*Sisterhood gets better with age. And is one of my most treasured blessings.
*Marriage to a godly husband is a great gift. Especially in times of trial.
*Bugs aren’t scary at all in the hands of a five year old. Except for spiders.
*Music soothes the savage beast and the grumpy child. Which are often very much alike.
*Going to the movies alone is good. And happens far to infrequently.
*Teaching children (especially my own) is very rewarding. And each moment is priceless.
*Grace is amazing. And makes all the difference.
*Sister-friends are the best friends. Now and always.
*Chasing butterflies is good exercise for body and soul. Especially the soul.
*Sometimes I need help. But don't like to ask for it.
*Motherhood is wonderfully scary. And just gets more wonderful and more scary.
*Health is underrated. Physical, mental, and spiritual.
*The Lord truly works in mysterious ways. Julianna!
*Ice water is my favorite drink. With huckleberry lemonade a close second.
*Laughter really is the best medicine. And the doses are easy to swallow.
*The book is always better than the movie. Always.
*Eating cold watermelon on a hot summer day is the best. Mmm...watermelon.
*Family is why we are here. Family is why I am here.
*God’s ways are best. Amen.
*God’s ways are best. Amen.
*God’s ways are best. Amen.

And now for two new ones:

*Having a baby when you are of advanced maternal age is amazing.
*The Lord works for the good of those who serve him.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great list :) Pajamas are also a great argument for being a stay at home mom. Amen sister!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! If going to a movie with a friend is an acceptable second to going alone, pencil me in. I'll even throw in your very own box of Raisinets (the REALLY fun size!) Bring on the birthday bash!

Katrina said...

Happy Birthday, sweet friend! And thanks for sharing all your lessons with us. You are a blessing of the best kind!

MarmiteToasty said...

Wonderful list........ the last one of NOW made me smile.... *advanced maternal age* LOL I was 36 when I had our Jacob..... and I would of even last year of had another one if the opportunity had come up..... :)

x

MarmiteToasty said...

oops........ HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY WISHES dear you..........

x

live love laugh hope said...

Great list. Thanks for sharing. Happy late Birthday!

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful list. Oh! I have to do that for mine. Let's see. . . 60 things - - hmmmm.