Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A one and a two...


We were invited to go to a performance by the Spokane Symphony Orchestra today with some of the students from the school we were at last year. We rarely turn down the opportunity for a field trip so we tagged along. On the way we stopped by the school to pick up three students to help with the carpooling. That made five boys with me in the car. I commented on how quiet they were. A second later, one of them started talking Pokemon with Josh and the conversation continued all the way there. One boy in the way back of the car was very intent on something that I assumed to be a handheld game of some sort. When I looked closer, I was surprised and pleased to see that he was reading the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid book.


The concert was great. The conductor, with the help of his musicians, introduced each of the instruments and explained how each worked. It was very interesting and held the attention of several hundred students in the audience. I was also impressed by how many students knew the four groups in the orchestra and the names of the instruments.


When we got back in the van, I asked each of the boys which instrument they would like to play.


Josh: "The bassoon."

Z: "The piano." (He already plays.)

Adam: "Drums." (I should have guessed.)

J: "What. Oh, I don't know, I wasn't paying attention." (He was the one with the book.)


And then there was C. When I asked him, he said, "None." "Well, what if you had to?" I asked. "I wouldn't," he answered. "What if you had to either play an instrument or go to prison?" He said, "I'd go to prison." Wouldn't it just be easier to play the triangle?


And by the way, I'd want to play the harp...to go with my angelic personality.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like their responses to the instrument question. And what a cool concert! That's really neat that they explained the instruments to the kids!

April said...

I am so happy with Josh's response...I played the bassoon when I was in band!

Anonymous said...

Tell C he is well on his way.

Katrina said...

"Wouldn't it just be easier to play the triangle?"

Hahahaha! I love you, Jen.

Anonymous said...

I have to say that while "C" tends to love to argue and resist authority, he has recently developed the habit of coming back to my desk after one of his fits of rebellion and quietly apologizing to me. Dang it, it is hard to stay mad when he does that! As to instruments, I already had my experience with the clarinet. Now I just want to play a CD player.