Saturday, July 14, 2007

Christmas In July

We had a yard sale at our house today and just like every other time that I have a yard sale (about every two years), I am vowing to never do it again and to just take the stuff to Goodwill and be done with it. That's where most of it goes in the end anyway. We did make a little money and our effort was mostly for Josh and Adam to encourage them to get rid of some of the bazillion toys we have scattered around our house. They got to keep the money for anything of theirs that they sold. (They made $32.75 and are so excited!) But despite all the work for very little reward, something good came out of it. I went down to the basement last night to look for last minute items to include in the sale and started going through some boxes of books. I knew that I had tons of children's chapter books that I had bought while I was in college and since the boys are just now getting old enough to read them, they have been in those boxes for awhile. I love books, which is probably why their are hundreds in my house. Literally hundreds. One lady bought 55 books this morning and I still had three boxes left to sell. And there are still two boxes downstairs to keep and one to go to school. Not to mention full bookshelves in every room in the house except the kitchen and bathrooms.

Going through the boxes was like Christmas! Each one contained books that I had read before the boys were born and it was like seeing old friends. So many of those books are so good and I can't wait to share them with my kids at home and at school. I couldn't help but smile as I pulled out some of my favorites: "Sarah, Plain and Tall," "Julie Of The Wolves," "Ella Enchanted," "The Secret Garden," "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," "Number the Stars," "A Taste of Blackberries," "Jacob Have I Loved," "Onion John." All so wonderful.

But in addition to those books, I came across a bunch of books by author's that I had studied in my American Lit class this spring. I have been meaning to get to the library to check out some of their works but haven't yet. And now I don't need to. I have a stack of books just waiting to be devoured. Among them are "The Red Badge of Courage," "The Sound and the Fury," "Life on the Mississippi," "The Red Pony," "The Great Gatsby." Some I have read and others will be deliciously new. I also found an old book that I read when I was a teenager called "Jubilee Trail." I remember loving it, so it goes on the list as well as "Jane Eyre." Now I just have to decide which to read first. Maybe I'll go alphabetically.

I always say that I don't collect anything, but I guess I do. I collect books...and the friends I meet in them. And so now I'm off to make some new friends.

4 comments:

Idaho Dad said...

We have hundreds, maybe even thousands, of books as well. When my son was born I decided to surround him with books. It's paid off, as he loves to read... So does his sister. Books have always been a part of their life and household.

We want to have a garage sale too, but not for the nickel and dime stuff. This time we actually have some large valuable items to get rid of that can help pay for that Montana vacation!

Scots said...

The Red Badge of Courage and The Great Gatsby ... jeezo these bring back memories ... I studied both as part of my higher English exams at school.

I too love books and have bookshelves all over, one day I will eventually read every copy!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy to see you admit that you collect something! My boks are probably my favorite collection. Can you believe that my sister-in-law once told me that she thought that it was ok for the library to own the books and for her to just borrow them? I do love to borrow from the library, but if I did not have certain books at my disposal at all times, I would feel like I was trapped in Siberia. I am so glad to have such wonderful friends that share my love for the written word.

Katrina said...

Oh, yes! Books are definitely friends (although I make no excuses for my stubborn refusal to include "The Sound and the Fury" in this category.) I have recently discovered Jasper Fforde (at a friend's recommendation, my favorite way to "find" new books), and I highly recommend him for anyone who loves books--rollicking adventure fantasy full of clever asides and literary references. Delightful!!! (The first one in the series is called "The Eyre Affair", by the way!)