Monday, July 16, 2007

Day 1

Today is the first day in six months that I haven't been on anxiety medication. I have to admit that not taking it this morning caused me a little anxiety. But nothing like what I suffered before my treatment. It all stems from the car accident that I had in April 2006. It seems that thinking that you are going to die, even for a few brief moments, can wreak havoc on your brain. My neurotransmitters were all out of whack because of the stress of it all and made me think I was having a heart attack or going crazy or both. For months I suffered from anxiety/panic attacks and all the symptoms that came with them without knowing what it was. It took two weeks of major symptoms to finally make me realize that I needed help. Counseling, to help me see what I was dealing with, and medication (even though I fought it) helped me to slowly get better. Now here I am, off the meds and hopeful that I can stay off. And better able to recognize and deal with my anxiety.

I did some research this morning on how to control anxiety naturally. I found that diet (high in fresh food, low in anything processed) and exercise can help a lot. Also relaxation techniques and meditation/prayer are helpful. Sunlight, fresh air, adequate sleep and nutritional supplements (magnesium, B complex, and calcium) were also mentioned as natural ways to deal with anxiety. All things I kind of knew and don't always do well with.

So, today is a new day. I've already meditated and prayed on my front porch in the fresh air and had a healthy breakfast. Now I'll just need to throw in a little exercise, take my vitamins, and go to bed at a decent hour. Because, whatever it takes, I will get well and stay well.

So many people suffer with anxiety attacks and aren't aware of it so they don't seek help. Following is a list of symptoms of an anxiety/panic attack:
  • heart palpitations or racing heartbeat
  • chest pain
  • hot flashes or chills
  • cold and clammy hands
  • stomach upset or queasiness
  • frequent urination or diarrhea
  • shortness of breath
  • sweating
  • dizziness
  • tremors, twitches, and jitters
  • muscle tension or aches
  • headaches
  • fatigue
  • insomnia
  • apprehension, uneasiness or dread
  • impaired concentration or selective attention
  • feeling restless or on edge
  • avoidance
  • hypervigilance
  • irritability
  • confusion
  • nervousness or jumpiness
  • self-consciousness and insecurity
  • fear that you are dying or going crazy
  • strong desire to escape

If you or someone you know suffer from panic attacks, don't suffer needlessly. Get help. Life is so much better without the pain.

Websites for more information:

www.anxietypanic.com

www.helpguide.org

www.womentowomen.com

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jen. Many people don't know what's happening when it does. Many don't realize that sometimes it isn't a flaw in personality, weakness, or a disease in the sense that many think of- a foreign germ wrecking havoc- but that anxiety can be caused by a neurological problem, neurotransmitters that get all out of whack. There are things that can help, and they needn't be forever. I'm not recommending fleeing to the medication bottle at the first sign of stress, but keep an open mind if your doctor recommends it, or talk with your doctor if you suspect you may have a need. Above all, be supportive of loved ones who may be taking or considering this help. I wonder how many lives could have been saved or made healthier had steps been taken to correct these types of problems.

Anonymous said...

I hope that people will read this and realize that it is very important not to ignore stress. It is real, and it can be very damaging to your health. Listen to your body, and take care of it.

Katrina said...

This is really great information, Jen. I know a lot of anxiety probably goes undiagnosed, and it acutely affects the quality of life. I'm so glad you're doing better, and you can add the prayers of your friends to your "natural remedies"! :)

Jen said...

Kathy, thanks for the backup and you are so right that family support is also key.

Marci, I did ignore my body for so long when it was telling me something was wrong. I won't make that mistake again.

Katrina, prayer is the best "remedy" of all and I'll take all I can get. Thanks!

Ashley said...

Jen, I too suffer from anxiety but choose not to be medicated because I believe that although its a very real problem that there are natural remedies that work for some people, but not everyone! And like kathy said talk to your doctor.

I hope your feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Medications can take time to leave the body, so be prepared. Depending on what you're taking, you may experience a slow "detox" as it leaves your system or a quick, and somewhat uncomfortable release. Withdrawal happens - as I'm sure your doc explained.

People interested in medications to help control anxiety or depression should invest in visiting with a psychiatrist who knows MUCH more than your general doc - and it will prevent a trial and error approach that many general docs use.

Thanks for sharing this, Jen. Good stuff! :)

Jen said...

Ashley, thanks for the encouragement. I have been taking vitamins and doing some of the things I mentioned in my post. It seems to be working.

Angela, I did taper off my meds and although I have noticed a little withdrawal, it hasn't been bad at all. The important thing for me has been knowing what to watch for and what to avoid to control my anxiety. Thanks for your comment.

Mrs. Mac said...

I have suffered from stress induced anxiety attacks ... mistaking it for a heart attack at first. Worry and too much work from taking care of a critically ill infant triggered mine. I now watch for the the minor symptoms that can lead up to a full blown attack ... and slow down. Good information.