Sunday, July 22, 2007

It Will All Be Over Soon

I have a confession to make. I know that what I'm about to say is going to be hard to believe, but it's true. Every word. I just hope that this revelation won't make you think badly of me, but I have to get this out in the open. Okay, here it goes. I have never...read a Harry Potter book. Or seen a movie. I know, I know. It's unbelievable that I have completely missed out on the storm that is Harry Potter. When the books first came out I wasn't really interested because I'm not a big fan of fantasy and I have to admit that the witchcraft turned me away. And now as the whole thing has grown to have a gigantic amount of overexposure, it's just to much for me to get mixed up in. I have friends who are big fans and they often have conversations that sound like a different language to me. I just smile and wait for it to pass. There are stories in the news about these books that make me wonder what kind of a slow news day they have to have to report on if Harry is going to die. He's not real, people! And waiting in line to buy a book. I love books, but it would have to have pages made of money for me to wait in line for it. One good thing I will say about the whole thing. These stories get kids to read, so they can't be all bad. Right? And maybe, since I've heard a few million times that this is the last book, all the readers of the world can move on and meet some new people. So, Harry, I never knew ya. But the truth is, you have enough friends as it is.

6 comments:

Scots said...

hee hee - Jen I like your thinking ... Harry does have enough friends! I love the books and got hooked early on .... I blame it on the kids in my class at the time.

JK has done a fabulous job of getting kids interested in reading ... I sincerely hope that their interest continues into other authors and does not revert back to sitting in front of a computer game

Katrina said...

I still love you, Jen! And I appreciate your amused forbearance through conversations punctuated with mention of horcruxes and cries of "Alohamora!"

Who knows? Maybe one day, long after the hype and talk have died down, when your kids are contemplating having their own kids, you will pick up the first book, lock yourself in the bathroom, and finally get that first exhilarating taste of life at Hogwarts. And you will be hooked. Don't tell me when it happens, though, because I will tease you mercilessly. ;)

Jen said...

Scots, I hope Ms. Rowling has created a bazillion lifelong readers. To match her bazillion dollars.

Katrina, I have read a page or two and was impressed. I can see why kids (and kids at heart) love these books. But 1) I don't read in the bathroom and 2) you already have enough to tease me about! :)

Christy Woolum said...

Hi Jen,
I don't like fantasy and I also have never read a HP book or seen a moveie. My middle school students think I am nuts. Too many books, too little time. HP never never made the cut. Now i feel so behind the game.

Anonymous said...

What are you saying!!!!!!!!!!I think you're a really good person and all but I never thought that you were someone who wouldn't read about the fun adventures of Harry.Gotta go.Bye! love u

Anonymous said...

I only suggest that you read Harry and read in the bathroom because I do not want you to miss out on the finer things in life!