Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Famous Last Words

THOMAS HOBBES
‘I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark.’

LOUIS XIV
‘Why are you weeping? Did you imagine that I was immortal?’

ANNE BOLEYN (upon the scaffold)
‘It [my neck] is very small, very small.’

THOMAS GAINSBOROUGH
‘We are all going to Heaven, and Vandyke is of the company.’

PHINEAS BARNUM
‘How were the receipts today in Madison Square Garden?’

EDITH CAVELL
‘I realise that patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone.’

JOHN LE MESURIER
‘It’s all been rather lovely.’

ISADORA DUNCAN
‘Goodbye, my friends, I go on to glory.’

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Oooh, that last one made me shiver with anticipation! Louis XIV and Anne Boleyn made me laugh. And I guess Barnum is the lone exception to that old adage about no one saying, at the end of his life, "I wish I had worked more."

Those are great!

Ada said...

Here is my thought...none of these people ever tasted Tillamook Vanilla Bean ice cream or it would have been mentioned.

Jen said...

Katrina, Poor Anne!

Ada, That's too funny. My last words could very well be, "I love a good nap."