Friday, March 07, 2008

Oh, To Be A Gopher

This was on my online calendar this week. I found it interesting since I am on day 190 of the 280 day human gestation period. Do you think it means anything that our gestation period is closest in length to that of a yak? And just think, if I were a warthog, I'd already be done!

Some Gestation Periods
(approximate no. of days)

Aardvark..........210
Dingo.................60
Gazelle..............180
Hedgehog...........39
Leopard............100
Mink...................50
Orang-utan........240
Giant Panda.......140
Rabbit.................30
Gopher................15
Llama................350
Warthog............170
Yak...................260
Zorilla.................37
Shrew..................18
Tapir.................370
Skunk..................60

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if you were a gopher you could have 12 batches of babies and at 5 or 6 per batch, well, you do the math...

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Interesting info there...and kathy's computation cracks me up..just imagine! Wow!

Have a nice weekend!

Ada said...

just thank goodness you aren't a llama. and what about the gopher? 15 days? that's like being a microwave. 15 days. wow.

Jen said...

Hmmm...interesting. I once read something that said elephants have a ridiculously long gestation period while mice have one of the shortest. Just some food for thought