Friday, March 14, 2008

School Days

  • Last night we had our school's annual talent show. It's always a lot of fun to see what the kids put together for the show. The preschool classes did a traditional Hawaiian fishing dance called the Hukilau. They were so cute in their flip flops and leis. And I have to say that my nephew was the cutest and the best dancer and singer. My kindergarten class performed a collection of poems and songs from around the world since we just finished a social studies unit on "Children of the World." Their favorite was "Kookaburra," a song from Australia. The 1st and 2nd grade class, that both my sons are a part of, sang a song called "I Am A Promise." They were supposed to dress up like what they want to be when they grow up. It was easy for Adam to decide. He's wanted to be an entomologist for a while now. That's someone who studies bugs, in case you were wondering. But Josh couldn't decide. He tends to change his mind depending on what he's interested in at the moment. Since I had to get the costume ready, I suggested a baseball player. (I already had the jersey and hat.) He agreed and was actually pretty excited about it. They did a great job, too. The 3rd and 4th grade class performed to "The Battle Of New Orleans." It was very entertaining. The older kids performed in small groups or individually. There was keyboard playing, singing, poetry, karate, and dance. It was great fun. (But I'm glad it's over.)

  • I must have been a little grouchy this week. This morning when I gave my class free time, one little girl declared, "Teacher is better today."

  • Show and Tell
    *Build a Bear Workshop bear (white bear with green clover spots dressed in a red dress with a variety of bows to go around her ears)
    *an Idaho state flag, a picture of Mount Rushmore, a story about eating buffalo burgers and a story about a cowboy battle and a cowboy graveyard from L. who just got back from a cross country trip
    *binoculars, six Star Wars action figures, a ship and Chewbacca's gun
    *a Slinky with a very thorough demonstration of all the things you can do with it (headband, jump rope, telescope, stair climber, bracelet, jumping, rolling, stretching, throwing, and much, much more--It's fun for a girl or a boy!)
    *a ballerina jewelry box (pink, of course)
    *a miniature electric guitar (electronic, no strings)
    *a German short haired pointer named Heinz

  • Today is National Pi Day. You know, pi, like the math thing that equals 3.14. But for my 7th graders it meant a short discussion on pi, and then real pie--chocolate and coconut cream. They were very grateful. For the pie and because they didn't have homework.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Woowoo! Happy Pi Day, Jen! It sounds like the talent show was great fun, and I'm glad that it went off so well.

When I grow up, I want to be one of those beach bums who walks all over the sand waving a metal detector back and forth. What kind of costume would I need for that?

Anonymous said...

Chewbacca uses a crossbow, not a gun. And, Katrina, you must have Bermuda shorts, black socks, sandals, a Hawaiian shirt, a dopey fishing hat, and a plastic bag to put all the crap you dig up in. Oh yeah, and you have to be an old man.

MarmiteToasty said...

I love the talents shows that schools do :) we only really do them here when they get to senior school which is 11-16 year olds.. and many are bands of course and loads of girlie dances and jugglers and once we even had a fire eater kid LOL....

This week its been book week in our infant and junior schools and the children that I mind yesterday had to dress up as their favourite book character.... so I walked to school - Harry Potter, Sir Lancealot, a girl Pirate(from Pete the Pirate and the baby), and Woody from toy story... every child in the school and teachers dressed up and there was a parade at the end of the day..... its to try and encourage kids to enjoy books etc :)

Yippee for Pie day LOL.... steak and kidney, apple, cherry, mince beef and onion LOL

x

RosieBoo said...

Wow, I'd forgotten about a lot of those songs...how fun! Nothing is more encouraging than the wild imaginations of the youth....

Ada said...

I agree that your nephew, who happens to my son was the cutest K4-er to sing and dance. That kid has talent. Um, but I think the best thing is there wasn't a rumble after the talent. :)