Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Good Day Sunshine

The sunshine over the weekend was so great...while it lasted. But it at least reminded me that it's possible to have sun instead of snow and I know it will return. Saturday we spent the day visiting with family and playing and sitting in the yard in the sun. We have just enough snow melted to have a border of grass around our yard just wide enough for patio chairs. The rest of the yard is still covered with about a foot of snow. I even told Arrty that it was a good thing that God sent me a sunny day. He knew that I really needed it to lift me up.

Then Sunday we went to church, had Chinese food for lunch and went for a drive around the lake. We were heading toward Sanders Beach, when the boys realized that we were close to The Stickman's house. They were so excited to stop and see him again. We knew he was out because just up the block we saw a couple walking with their dog and they had brand new Stickman walking sticks. The Stickman was as welcoming as always and reminded the boys of the treasures they could take home with them. It didn't take the boys long to choose their five rocks. They love the rocks! And Josh quickly chose his stick mostly because he liked the stones that were on it. But Adam was a little more selective. He picked up and studied many before finally choosing one that had wonderful bug markings and interesting stones on it. And Arrty even left with a new stick that he is looking forward to using on our next walk. Meanwhile, Josh found a 3 inch piece of stick and a piece of sandpaper and started working to sand down the end. By the time we left, both boys had raw sticks and all the supplies they needed to become "stickboys." They even got a mini-lesson on the steps they need to take to finish their sticks. It took some coaxing to get them to leave. I think they would have stayed all day sitting in the sun and working on their new projects. Once we got back on the road, I had to make a new rule. No carving or sanding in the car. But as soon as we got home, they started on their sticks again and are making good progress on their very own woody works of art.

So, thanks once again, Stickman, for the great visit and stories, and especially for making my boys' day by sharing your supplies and love of sticks with them. And for the memories that they will have forever. We'll be by this summer to get a stick with pink stones for their new baby sister. :)

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Sweet! I can't wait to see how their first sticks turn out. You should post a picture!

I am wistfully thinking of the beautiful weekend we just had, as well, and hoping those days come around again soon! I definitely didn't expect snow this far into April.

Anonymous said...

Such a nice visit from you and your family. Thanks for all the kind words and I'm glad the boys had a good time. They are welcome anytime that I'm here and I have many supplies to keep them going. I like how you called them 'stickboys', very appropriate. I have a couple of 'stickgirls' in the neighborhood as well, so it can be something a kid can do. I enjoy your boys very much, and with a new one on the way, I may start making her a very special one with lots of pink things on it. I had many visitors that day, many were out enjoying the beautiful day. Anytime you are in the area take a chance and drive by, hopefully I am out so the boys aren't disappointed. Thanks again for coming by, always a pleasure for me as well. The Stickman