Thursday, April 03, 2008

Schooled

This week on Huckleberries Online, there was a debate about homeschooling. Which was very timely for me because we are seriously considering homeschooling the boys next year. All of my concerns were brought up by the variety of commenters. I'm not concerned about my teaching qualifications since I am a certified teacher and have taught in my own classrooms on and off for the last eleven years. I have even taught my own kids when they were in kindergarten. So I think I can handle the curriculum and scheduling. But what about what other people will say? Should I let that stop me from doing what we all want? My kids are smart, social, "normal" kids and won't all of a sudden start hiding behind me when we go out in public or lose all ability to speak. And they get lots of other socializing with church and family and friends. They get above average grades now in first and second grade. I'm not going to let that slide. We will actually have school everyday and they will learn what they're supposed to. So if they will turn out to be well educated, well spoken, and well rounded, does it matter that some people think it's a little weird?

I have had homeschooled students in my classes at school before, and I am the first to admit that some come in way behind academically and socially. But most come in above average in both areas. I will totally agree that it all depends on the parents and whether or not they are actually homeschooling or just handing the kids a workbook and hoping for the best (or not really caring if they do it or not).

So I guess my dilemmas is this. Is it right for our family no matter what people say? At this point I'm thinking, "Yes." The boys love the idea and it's something that we have wanted to do for a few years now. I just have to get past the point of what people may think about us. But I know that all they'd have to do is talk to my kids for a minute and they'd realize that maybe, just maybe, homeschooling is okay after all.

6 comments:

Katrina said...

I've been reading that discussion, too, and I think a lot of the negative reactions are fueled by stereotypes that just don't fit the majority of homeschoolers.

I agree with you; you should do it! I can't think of anyone more qualified to teach her own kids than you are.

Anonymous said...

I am behind you 100% (after I get over the feeling that you are pulling them out of my class). You are actually the example of someone able to do a bang up job of homeschooling among many who probably shouldn't. I haven't read the discussion at HBO, but, really, who cares what a bunch of strangers think? You have total support from those who really matter, and from your friends, too. ;-)

Jen said...

Thanks girls. But if I homeschool, that may mean that I will need a few more "girl's nights out" than usual. I'm sure you'll help me out with that!

Idaho Dad said...

It's not weird. It's just different. People don't like different. It makes them uncomfortable.

I used to worry about what these people said, but now I don't care as much. I've seen the effect homeschooling has had on my son. I see how he's learning and thriving. "Thriving" is the key word. He wasn't doing much of that at the public school. My daughter will join us next year for 2nd grade, and I'm excited about having everyone on the same page. We'll be able to do so much more together.

Yes, there are some bad homeschooler parents out there, who really shouldn't be teaching anybody. You won't be one of those. We need more like you to combat those negative steretypes!

Anonymous said...

love that post!!!!! I am currently being homeschooled but, that is not by choice really! I have cancer and am very sick so I cant go to school. I say it is okay as long as you think that is the best for your kids :)

Anonymous said...

Homeschooling (like most topics) is something that you cannot make general statements about. Each homeschooling situation is so unique and depends largely upon the parent and the children involved. You will do great. I, on the other hand, would be too distracted by things at home to be very productive. If anyone, (myself included), says discouraging words to you about your homeschooling, they are probably jealous.(By the way, I know that that pronoun does not agree with its antecedent, but he/she did not sound right!)