Thursday, April 24, 2008

Rock Of Ages

First let me say that 80's rock rocks. Just hearing some of those songs makes me feel young(er) and brings back so many memories. Now let me say that there are three kinds of rock concert attendees. There are those front row chicks (and dudes) who stand for the whole thing and scream and wave their arms and hope to catch thrown guitar picks or get splattered with sweat from the lead singer. Then there are those who sit in the balcony and come to hear the music and experience the event but don't necessarily want to go home with any rock star sweat stains. Then there are the few who want to be in the front row but either can't afford it or didn't buy tickets soon enough and end up sitting in the balcony acting like they're in the front row. I found out last night that I am in the middle group. My husband and I went to see Def Leppard, REO Speedwagon and STYX. We really had a lot of fun and sang along with everybody else and clapped and even screamed a few times. But a front row chick I am not. I watched them from my perch high above and had to smile at their youth and exuberance. And tried to remember if I was ever like that.

The music was great. I absolutely loved hearing all of those songs that I have heard and sang along to 1,000 times being performed live. There's just something about live music that can't be compared to any other musical experience. And those guys in their 50s or maybe even 60s still put on quite a show. It was really fun. But also made me feel just a little old. Here are some of the thoughts I had while watching the show.

Does it really have to be so loud? They could turn it down just a little and it would still be good.
This isn't going to cause my unborn child to have hearing loss is it?
I wonder how the band's hearing is these days.
Just how old are these guys if they started the band in 1971--the year before I was born?
It's a little creepy that shirtless 50-something year old guys are flirting with the 20-something year old front row chicks. Wait, just how old are those front row chicks anyway?
I now know the perfect job for the kids in my class who can't sit still and are constantly making noise--rock star.
How far back in her closet did that woman have to dig to find that outfit from her senior year?
How much Aquanet hairspray did it take to do that to her hair?
I hope that's just her 80's rock concert hair and not her 2008 everyday hair.
How many beers is this guy down the row from me going to drink tonight? I hope he has a designated driver.
I didn't know that I knew so many STYX songs.
Should I go to the bathroom now to beat the crowds during intermission?
I can't believe I just saw "drunk girl" from Saturday Night Live in the bathroom. She should be glad that she stopped hugging strangers before she got to me. I'm not much of a hugger of drunk strangers.
$3.00 for a bottle of Diet Coke. Totally worth it.
I am surprised by the age range of people here--probably 7 years to 70 years.
I didn't know that Def Leppard did that "Hey Kids, Rock and Roll" song.
You would never know that their drummer only has one arm.
I wonder if the boys are in bed yet?
What am I going to do about that problem at school?
I have to remember to make lemon bars tomorrow night for our school auction.
Oh, yeah, back to Def Leppard.
I wonder if they like lemon bars.

Just kidding about that last one, but after 3 1/2 hours of ear blasting 80's rock, I do admit that my mind wandered just a little. But at the end of the night, I was glad we went. We both had a great time and have a once in a lifetime memory. And now when the cd changer goes to "Come Sail Away" or "Armageddon It" or "Can't Fight This Feeling" we can look at each other and smile and remember the night we saw Def Leppard and STYX and REO Speedwagon live. From the balcony.

4 comments:

Ada said...

Sounds like you had a great time and i have to admit i must have checked the blog 8 times today waiting for this one. and didn't that guy from the soap opera sing "hey kids rock and roll"? and who knows maybe it made that sweet neice of mine want to be a rocker which would be sooo cool...we could sing backup.

Katrina said...

Who doesn't like lemon bars?

Seriously, I'm glad you had such an awesome time! (And that you escaped from Drunk Girl unharmed, and unhugged.)

Idaho Dad said...

I'm with you. I just want to sit and listen to the music. I don't want to stand up or dance around or whatever.

The loudest concert I've ever heard was Queen, in 1980. My ears rang for days afterward. I learned to stick a little cotton in my ears to help block some of the loudness.

I'm taking my kids to see Ringo Starr in July, and I'm bringing cotton for them, just in case. I'm also hoping it's a "sit down and listen" kind of audience.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time! I'm so glad that you think it's too loud. I was beginning to believe that I was falling into the category of "If it's too loud, you're too old." But if you agree that it's too loud, I must not be too old. We have the volume battle in our household on a regular basis.