Tuesday, April 29, 2008

What's In A Name?

I am being asked at least once a day if we have a baby name chosen yet. The short answer is no, but the longer answer is this:

When I was pregnant with Josh, I read every baby name book I could get my hands on from cover to cover and made two lists--one with boy names and one with girl names, since we didn't know which he was. Then I gave it to Arrty to confirm or veto each name. Then from there we chose our top two first and middle names on each list and wrote them on a post-it to take to the hospital with us. But then when he was born, we looked at him and looked at the names and they just didn't fit. So we had to rethink the whole thing. Sometime that night or the next morning, Arrty said, "Whatever happened to Joshua?" I answered, "Nothing happened to it." It happened to be third on our list. So we thought about it and decided the day after he was born (not a week or two later like I'm sure will be brought up by certain people in my life) that he was Joshua. And it has turned out to be the perfect name for him even though he prefers Josh these days.

So when I was pregnant with Adam we decided to go in with a list and an open mind concerning names. We did know that he was a boy, so that narrowed down my baby name book reading and list making. Adam was on the top of our name list and happened to fit him when he was born so it didn't take long to decide about that one. And once again it was the right choice. He is Adam through and through.

And this time it's the same. I have gone over and over the name books and written down the names that I like. The field is a little narrower this time because we want a name that starts with "A" or "J" like the rest of the family. (I hate it when Max, Mike, Michelle, and Milly have a baby brother named Ted.) And it will have some kind of biblical meaning like Joshua and Adam. (I hate it when Matthew, Mark, Luke and John have a baby sister Savannah.) And frankly there aren't many "A" or "J" girl's names in the Bible. (Jezebel is out, by the way. And Abby with our last name sounds like a Beatles Album.) So we are having to be creative and use our naming freedom on the middle name. As of today, we have two favorites which both fit our criteria and will go to the hospital with us. Then when we see her little face and look into her little eyes we will know who she is. Until then she is "the baby."

So do we have a baby name chosen yet? No. And kind of.

6 comments:

Ada said...

Well let me point out that the name "Ada" is biblical and starts with an "A". So it fits both of the necessary criteria. You may want to add it to the list. And I will not point out the two week period that Josh was no named baby. :)

Anonymous said...

I think I need some applause for not badgering you about what the name possibilities are. Even though it is kind of killing me not to ask. but I'm not asking. But if you wanted to tell me, who am I to deny the pregnant woman anything she wants. Like a jazz concert. Or dinner. but I'm not asking. i'm not.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'm old fashioned (Some would say that there is no maybe about it!), but I am still not accustomed to people referring to their unborn child by name. I'm not opposed to it, I'm just not accustomed to it. I also love anticipation. I do not like to open birthday gifts before my birthday. Therefore, I am perfectly content not knowing the name of the forthcoming monarch of the ajja rude household. However, I am pleased to know that you have done your homework as you did while awaiting your boys. You must know that the legend of the naming of Joshua is just part of the oral hisorty that we share to show our common experiences. (And as Jerry Spinelli says: "the history of a kid is one part fact, two parts legend, and three parts snowball.")

Katrina said...

Sounds like you might get a pretty good girls' night out of Kathy if you play your cards right!

And I wasn't even here yet during that whole month that Josh was known as Baby Boy, so I won't comment on that. ;)

Jen said...

Ada, I already named one of my kids Adam--that's pretty close.

Kathy, And I thought the concert was just because you loved me, not to soften me up.

Marci, I really don't mind being teased about Josh's name. You're right that it's all part of his story.

Katrina, We actually called him "that kid with all the hair."

Anonymous said...

Jen, I do love you. I said I wasn't asking, I'm just saying, if it is weighing heavy on your mind, I'm here to listen...It's all about you, baby!