Friday, April 18, 2008

Warning: Staples Are Sharp

We made it exactly 6 years and 11 months before having to take Adam to the doctor for anything more than a ear infection or check-up. But this morning that all changed.

Every morning before school, the teachers get together to pray. So this leaves the boys alone in my classroom for 10-15 minutes. Well, I guess this morning when I was in prayer, Adam was in the hall reading stories that his class had written that had been displayed on the wall. One fell off while he was reading it, so being the responsible boy that he is, he got my stapler out of my desk and went to put it back up. Somehow, he ended up with a staple in his thumb instead of the wall. And not just sticking in a little so that I could pull it out. But completely in, both sides, just like he meant to do it. He tried to pull it out. I tried to pull it out. It wouldn't budge. So I made arrangements for my class and we headed for the doctor.

The thing about Adam is that he won't cry in front of people. With me he'll let it out, but he hates for others to see him cry. So before we could leave the school, some of the kids saw his thumb and even the older boys were impressed with his injury. And he wasn't even crying, which made him that much cooler. When we got in the car, he did cry a little but not nearly as much as I would have if I had a staple in my thumb like that.

We reached the doctor's office in just a few minutes and within a few more minutes we were in the little room where they apparently remove staples from little fingers. Our family doctor is so great. He has seen the boys since they were born and knows our family very well. He looked at Adam's thumb and explained to him exactly what he was going to do. He had to numb the thumb before pulling the staple out which involved a needle. He told Adam to close his eyes and that he didn't have to watch. Which he did for a second, then he had to look. And it didn't bother him at all. From then on, he watched the whole thing. The doctor was very impressed with how brave he was. And so was I. I was glad because if he would have fallen apart, I probably would have, too. We were all very glad that we had gone in to see the doctor once we saw how deep the staple was. It was completely into his poor little thumb just like if I was putting up a poster or something. Ouch. So, 45 minutes and $179 later, we were done and headed to the pharmacy for antibiotics. And Adam had a bandaged finger, a little jar with his staple in it and a beanie baby to show for it.

So all in all, it turned out okay. And I guess 6 years and 11 months without any major injuries isn't bad for a danger boy like Adam.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I hope he keeps that staple forever. It will make a good story for future dates and children and grandchildren.